UEFI Boot AROS

Methanoid · 104

Methanoid

on: October 18, 2020, 08:04:26 PM
Does anyone know if UEFI booting is on the roadmap sometime this decade? I have AROS compatible hardware but all my other OS's are UEFI.

Failing that can someone point me (please) at a noob friendly guide to install AROS hosted?

salvo

• Legendary Member
  • Invalid Civil
Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 06:24:00 PM
aros can work in systems equipped with uefi for a long time, just disable the secure boot which is in the security menu of the bios

Methanoid

Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 02:32:32 PM
Really? Last time I asked one of the core Devs said "NO" and "no plans"...  I've been spending hours and hours trying to get my Windows 10 on MBR/Legacy (without success for LTSC Win10) just so i could add AROS.

I don't suppose you know if it installs files to the EFI partition properly without screwing existing setups... I have 2 SSDs, one with Mac/Linux (and Clover EFI booting it all) and the other with Win10.  Just need to decide where its safest to add AROS! :-)

salvo

• Legendary Member
  • Invalid Civil
Reply #3 on: October 20, 2020, 02:40:34 PM
I understood in this case the developers are right, I thought you only wanted to install aros in your system and by disabling the secure boot you can do it

paolone

Reply #4 on: October 22, 2020, 10:25:12 AM
Just need to decide where its safest to add AROS! :-)

In a vmware player virtual machine. On nowadays hardware, with SSD drives and blazing fast RAM, processors and video cards, AROS would use just a fraction of all this power. So there is no need for a native installation on the bare metal, other than for a quick "oh, it's soooo fast" test.

You'd loose only the 3D hardware acceleration option this way, but recent video cards are unlikely supported by AROS anyway.