HDaudio not working

Yanosh · 710

Yanosh

on: February 15, 2020, 12:43:10 PM
I finally installed Icaros on the Aspire 5600 but I am having audio problems. I don't know how to set AHI and I think it needs some particular parameter. Windows 7 also had problems with audio and the standard drivers were not working. I had to download the drivers directly from the Realtek website. I remember that in the old forum there were discussions about particular settings to do in this case. Can anybody help me? This is what PCITools says about the audio chip:

Driver Name: PCINative
Direct bus: yes
Hardware info: IA32 native direct access PCI driver
Description: Multimedia Audio
Vendor name: Intel Corporation
Product name: NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller
Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] : 0x0102
VendorID: 0x8086
ProductID: 0x27d8
RevisionID: 0x02
Class: 0x04
Subclass: 0x03
Interface: 0x00
ROM Base: N/A
ROM Size: N/A
IRQ: 10 (A)
Status: IO: no, MEM: yes, Master: yes, PaletteSnoop: no, 66MHz capable: no
RangeList_0: Bar0: Memory at 0xb0000000 (size 0x4000)
RangeList_1:
RangeList_2:
RangeList_3:
RangeList_4:
RangeList_5:

salvo

• Legendary Member
  • Invalid Civil
    • Youtube Music Channel
Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 01:05:56 PM
try to open the hdaudio file and remove " ; " which is next to query, the file is in env-archive under prefs

hi

TinyAros on Lenovo M70 intel dual core 3.20 Ghz, SSD 120 Gb, 4 Gb Ram DDR3, Nvidia Geforce 8400 GS 512 Mb DDR3

Yanosh

Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 03:21:47 PM
Thanks for your reply. Sadly this doesn't seem to help to get sounds from this audio chip.

@All
I've tried to acces the old aros-exec.org from web archive, but it doesn't work as expected. I can't use the search option because it doesn't work on archived pages. I can access only few topics because i can't select "from beginning". Even ae.amigalife.org/old is not available directly or from web archive. I'm sure a problem like mine was available on the old aros-exec.org. Any help finding that topic?

salvo

• Legendary Member
  • Invalid Civil
    • Youtube Music Channel
Reply #3 on: February 16, 2020, 06:10:47 PM
you rebooted after removing ";", if it doesn't work I think you're unlikely to use the audio from that laptop.

TinyAros on Lenovo M70 intel dual core 3.20 Ghz, SSD 120 Gb, 4 Gb Ram DDR3, Nvidia Geforce 8400 GS 512 Mb DDR3

Yanosh

Reply #4 on: February 18, 2020, 05:53:31 PM
Yes, rebooted. So removing ";" before "query" is the only thing I can try? I remember a lot of topics about hdaudio on the old forum.  :( Can I use the ac97.audio with hdaudio? Isn't hdaudio compatible with ac97?

paolone

Reply #5 on: February 19, 2020, 11:44:38 AM
Yes, rebooted. So removing ";" before "query" is the only thing I can try? I remember a lot of topics about hdaudio on the old forum.  :( Can I use the ac97.audio with hdaudio? Isn't hdaudio compatible with ac97?

AFAIK no. HDaudio is successor to AC97, but I never heard about compatibility between them. What's your AHI setting field telling you about available sound devices?

Yanosh

Reply #6 on: February 22, 2020, 02:34:46 PM
hdaudio:HIFI 16 bit stereo++
Unit 0:16 bit mono
Unit 0:16 bit stereo++
Unit 0:HIFI 16 bit mono
Unit 0:HIFI 16 bit stereo++

The hd audio has the "channels", "gain", and "output" ghosted.

salvo

• Legendary Member
  • Invalid Civil
    • Youtube Music Channel
Reply #7 on: February 22, 2020, 07:59:37 PM
if you choose hdaudio and try the configuration can you hear the audio?

paolone

Reply #8 on: February 24, 2020, 03:02:22 PM
You need to be sure you're using 16bit Stereo for all the available AHI units, not 0 only. Moreover, have you tested connecting a couple of headphones to your line out port?

Yanosh

Reply #9 on: February 29, 2020, 03:30:49 PM
You need to be sure you're using 16bit Stereo for all the available AHI units, not 0 only.

On my main pc, I'm using "Unit 0:HiFi 16 bit stereo++" as music unit. I can hear the test sound from my Soundblaster. I can hear the test sound with every of the units shown by AHI prefs. Both "Unit" and "EMU10Kx" ones. If I try the same thing on the Aspire 5600 nothing happens.

Moreover, have you tested connecting a couple of headphones to your line out port?

Yes. I've tried the same headset used on my main pc with no luck.

I'm sure that this subject was already discussed on the old forum. Years ago someone modified the sources to solve a similar issue. But I can't find that thread anymore.

paolone

Reply #10 on: April 08, 2020, 09:21:09 AM
I've tried to acces the old aros-exec.org from web archive, but it doesn't work as expected. I can't use the search option because it doesn't work on archived pages. I can access only few topics because i can't select "from beginning". Even ae.amigalife.org/old is not available directly or from web archive. I'm sure a problem like mine was available on the old aros-exec.org. Any help finding that topic?

I'm missing old AE posts archive as well, it was a treasure of information we might have lost forever. I sincerely hope a solution can be found to make it available again.

hean8209

Reply #11 on: April 21, 2020, 03:47:24 PM
I had the same problem on my laptop, I had to modify the driver (basically, the card was detected, but output was muted) I messed around with different initialization commands (mainly looking at the Linux ALSA driver sources and translating them to AHI source commands)
Unfortunately, my development machine with the sources and stuff is long gone. The key is knowing the exact codec model, and I dont remember how to look it up unfortunately, it was several years ago, probably around 2014 (rough guess)
I rember trying to help another user get his sound working, but without physical access to the hardware it was a tedious process. I still remember most of what I did to get it working, so if you decide to try and do what I did, I will gladly help in any way I can through advice

Yanosh

Reply #12 on: April 25, 2020, 06:34:50 PM
Thank you for trying to help me. Unfortunately I'm not a coder and if it needs more than "configure" and "make" then it's something far beyond my capabilities.