Want an Icaros Desktop setup. What hardware should I use?

aremis · 533

aremis

Hello all

I'm somewhat new to amiga stuff in total, but I want to play with the system in general and get loosely familiar.  It would be very cool to run this on a laptop of some sort, but I'm unsure what I should run it on.  I have a pentium M laptop, but its not as great of a machine as it used to be.  I have another machine that uses an intel atom, but that machine used to hang on icaros (but that was 2.2.3).  ATM I have a desktop I intend to use that is a Dell Precision 380 set up with a pentium D that is basically a dual core pentium 4 and a 9800 GT.  I think it should work fine?  Is it even worth running on a laptop?

What machine do you run icaros on?  I'd appreciate whatever you all can share.

Thanks!

salvo

• Legendary Member
  • Invalid Civil
Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 10:06:25 PM
hello

currently I took an hp compaq 8100 sff, it works well, usually there are no problems to run aro on a desktop computer, the limitation and change to bios the storage device sata in ata emulation if not you can not install anything only on a usb stick, as for laptops you have to check if the ethernet port is compatible, unfortunately there are not so many drivers available

best

Areos 3.5 on HP Z600 Workstation, SSD 240 Gb, 4 Gb Ram DDR3, Nvidia Geforce 8400 GS 512 Mb DDR3, Monitor 27"

hean8209

Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 02:05:03 PM
I use an Athlon64 X2 system, 4800+,
mainboard is an msi one, dont know the exact model number (not printed on the mainboard)

Geforce GT210 PCIE graphics card, onboard audio works,
onboard LAN did not, so I added a 3com 3c905.
Had to go into BIOS and change SATA mode to "AHCI" or the install failed

Hardware I have used before:

Pentium 4 on Intel Desktop Board mainboards(Have tried 3 or 4) have all worked,
a safe bet for wired networking is a Realtek RTL8139 PCI card,
safe bet for working audio is a SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 or Audigy2 ZS

For graphics, a decently recent NVIDIA card is preferred, from Geforce MX4000(2D only) GF6200(2D and 3D), up to GT210(2D and 3D)  is what I have used with success.
VESA has worked on most cards I have tried, although a bit slower.

Oh, and a minimum of 1GB RAM if you intend to run OWB(the browser) IMHO.
2GB is plenty for all things AROS.

Its worth the time to build a dedicated AROS box, and most of the hardware can be had for free if you have hoarder friends like I do ;-)

Best of luck