Distros > Icaros Desktop

Best Desktop Hardware for AROS/Icaros Desktop

<< < (2/11) > >>

Michael_:

--- Quote ---How fast you want? Only one core gets used   AROS64/SMP uses all cores, but is alpha, so not stable, still in development, and doesn't run the current 32bit software - needs recompile
--- End quote ---

Well i did not knew that.
I thought it would at least support 2 Cores as AmigaOS 4.1.

So it might be worth to wait a little longer until AROS64 is stable?
Will they implement 32bit App Support in AROS64 like you can run 32bit Applications in 64bit Versions of Windows?

--- Quote ---A normal amount, can't see the need for more than two or three, partitions are limited to 128GB
--- End quote ---

Asking because i have some unused drives with 1TB or more lying around.
Will this limit be greater with AROS64?
But SSDs work, right?

--- Quote ---No, It's source compatible with Amiga OS 3.1    Though AROS 68K is binary compatible
--- End quote ---

So that means basically every Amiga OS 3.1 / 4.1 Software runs.
But needs to be recompiled, right?

cavemann:
@ Michael_

Have you tried booting the Icaros DVD on hardware that you already have? If if boots, you don't have to install anything and you would get a better idea if AROS is for you, before buying any hardware. ;)

Michael_:
I tried to Boot/Install Icaros Desktop on my old Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo X which came with Vista originally and got a Core 2 Quad CPU.
It did not work.
I just came to grub screen, it did not boot any further from there.

cavemann:
Hmm, If AROS does not recognize your video system, it should automatically boot with VESA video drivers. What video does this machine have?

Also, grub should display some options. Have you tried options other than the default option? There might be a DMA problem.

Michael_:
I am currently testing Windows 10 on this Machine.
According to Windows 10 its a GeForce 9500 GT.

Yes i tried some other options, they also do not work.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version