vpdf

watto · 4905

hth313

  • Newbie
  • *
    • Posts: 15
    • Karma: +0/-0
Reply #60 on: June 09, 2019, 11:24:04 PM
i have silenced the above complaints for convenience.

Did you do that by suppressing the warning?

If yes, just for completeness, the correct way would be to declare the struct/class member to be a 'char const*' so you get a diagnostic message if someone later attempts to actually write into it, rather than (possibly) crash at run-time (now or later).

If not, please disregard, I do not have any fix to look at(?)



wawa

  • Senior Member
  • ****
    • Posts: 265
    • Karma: +2/-0
Reply #61 on: June 10, 2019, 09:40:01 AM
yes, i suppressed it for the time being, because i would like to synchronize the aros repository with the authors first. and yes, i think this is probably the fix as hinted at by gcc9, but thx anyway. hope watto corrects that.



watto

  • Newbie
  • *
    • Posts: 16
    • Karma: +0/-0
Reply #62 on: June 10, 2019, 06:04:34 PM
@wawa I'll be looking at your changes along with what I have and double check whether anything I think important has been lost.  I agree with you regarding retaining compatibility with MorphOS and others so will look at doing that as well as finding the source of the crash.



watto

  • Newbie
  • *
    • Posts: 16
    • Karma: +0/-0
Reply #63 on: May 08, 2020, 12:08:45 PM
I've made some updates to my GitHub repo: https://github.com/wattoc/AROS-vpdf

I do have a mostly working VPDF on x64 ABI v1 at this point, but there are still issues with some select files.  There's a problem with fonts for some PDF files where it'll crash AROS.  If you open another PDF first (eg. the test one that checks the fonts) it'll actually then load that problem file OK.  I think this is down to FontConfig/TT.lib in AROS itself rather than something within VPDF, perhaps something being accessed before it should be and only specific files can trigger it.  The problem file has embedded fonts.  I did add a bunch of logging to try to track it down but I'm coming up a bit short.  For what it's worth I think I had to statically link some libraries in AROSPDF for the exact same issue.

I've been working on this sporadically but to be honest it doesn't especially interest me right now, and I'll probably have to move on to something else as it's just too much fiddling around to get things going - I don't find the whole dev environment especially productive, it's just not a great set up for someone trying to develop actual applications for a system although I'm sure others will tell me I'm wrong there.  MUI isn't really my forte either and someone who knows it better should probably try to improve the UI a bit.

Someone else should probably look to pick this up but I may spin it up again for a look now and then, if I'm feeling a bit masochistic.