Author Topic: A pre-configured Development environment for AROS  (Read 607 times)

miker1264

Re: A pre-configured Development environment for AROS
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2019, 02:54:19 AM »
Update:

AROS has been building in my 'build' folder (not source!) for about half an hour now...hoping and praying it all goes well.

A special thanks to bsek for the help in getting it running. It seems the information on IcarosDesktop.org should be ammended slightly.

In this case I created a new 'aros/build' file structure. Git clone + url is the proper way to copy out sources not downloading zip files. When a new directory with new sources is created be mindful of the configure syntax. Omit portsrc because it doesn't exist. Target is also optional. It will default to the current architecture. But I may need to declare the target in order to build a boot ISO.

Lastly and most importantly, Though the Virtual Machine is the same and the software is the same the hardware on the individual user side is Not The Same! In the make command you should specify with a -j switch the number of cores to use during the build process. Too few and it won't build. Too many and it won't build. You have to find the Goldilocks Zone - the correct number of cores & the max amount of memory to build AROS.

It's still building. So far so good...

(Note to self. Fix the Pizza Timer because it keeps popping up during the build process!)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 05:33:57 AM by miker1264 »

paolone

« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2019, 09:13:45 AM »

A special thanks to bsek for the help in getting it running. It seems the information on IcarosDesktop.org should be ammended slightly.

Would you please provide a detailed information about what you did? the linux command 'history' would come handy too, to track the exact commands you gave. Thank you.

miker1264

« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2019, 12:43:40 AM »

Would you please provide a detailed information about what you did? the linux command 'history' would come handy too, to track the exact commands you gave. Thank you.

Sorry. I've been busy. This is the sequence that I used however I'm going to actually declare a target and try to build an ISO as well:

mkdir -p aros/build

cd aros

git clone https://github.com/aros-development-team/AROS.git

cd build
../AROS/configure --enable-ccache --with-gcc-version=9.1.0 --with-binutils-version=2.32

make -j2

The last part is very important as well. -j2 means to use "2 cores" while building.

Using "git clone" is the better method to download and install the sources rather than simply downloading zip files.