General > Help

Deal Breaker

(1/4) > >>

buzzawak:
In my opinion not being able to get on the net is a deal-breaker.
Installed ICaros on my Asus x55vd laptop with a Qualcomm Atheros AR8161 Ethernet card and Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 wireless card.
Tried all the drivers in the hope one would work, but no luck.

So what are my options? is it possible to put in a request for a driver?

ntromans:
See if you can source a Netgear WG111v3 (that exact model) wifi dongle from ebay; they work really reliably with aros using the realtek8180.device driver.

Cheers,
Nigel.

buzzawak:

--- Quote from: ntromans on September 26, 2019, 06:34:12 PM ---See if you can source a Netgear WG111v3 (that exact model) wifi dongle from ebay; they work really reliably with aros using the realtek8180.device driver.

Cheers,
Nigel.

--- End quote ---

I guess that is one way to resolve the problem in the short term.
The Asus laptop I have (X55VD) only has two USB ports (close together), because of the width of the WG111v3, it would render the second port inaccessible.

I don't know much about programming but the network card drivers are available for Linux so I assume the source code is also available.
Would it be possible to port it over and how much effort would that take? 

magorium:

--- Quote from: buzzawak on September 26, 2019, 12:58:37 PM ---So what are my options?

--- End quote ---
Besides already suggested by ntromans:
- Run Icaros with virtualization software on a host OS of your choice.
- Run Icaros Hosted on top of Windows
- Run Icaros Hosted on top of Linux

All have their pros and cons but at least would be able to provide network access to/for Icaros.

--- Quote ---is it possible to put in a request for a driver?

--- End quote ---
Yes you can always try that path.

Don't hold your breath though... unfortunately there is a serious shortage on developers.

buzzawak:
Magorium I don't know if the situation has changed but in the manual on page 36 under "Installing Windows host ICaros Desktop" is highlighted

Please beware of the fact that Windows-hosted AROS is still in its “infancy”.
There is no network nor audio support for this hosted flavour, and many AROS programs will fail to run either. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version