Author Topic: still new but my systems are up and running :)  (Read 192 times)

snurf.T

• View Profile
still new but my systems are up and running :)
« on: October 25, 2018, 01:42:23 PM »
Hallo AROS-friends, AROS-Users and interested readers!  :)

it's been a few weeks since I started with AROS and due to family issues (I'm a "single" dad right now > wife, slipped disc, hospital, rehab, ... :/) my time is limited which is a pity because I like spending time wis AROS  :D!

Ok, back to the subject: Steve (Mr. Jones) and his videos and his case ;D inspired me to buy an Intel Atom D945GCLF2D mobo with 2 GB of ram. I also got AROS running with network access, nice graphics and sound on an Asus M2A-VM HDMI mobo and in a virtualbox. Well, I guess the graphics on the Asus mobo is not fully supported, but for my purposes so far it is absolutely sufficient :).

I also have AROS running hosted on a Linux machine, but I haven't got the network running yet. Same problem is on my Samsung NC10 which has the right network card (Atheros AR58XB63) installed (I opened the netbook and took a picture). But sadly the wireless connection refuses to work. --- Well, I might post questions to these subjects in the help section soon....

And now to some (AROS) software.
Can anyone recommend a good vector-graphics program? I have found ZuneFIG so far. Is there more? I read about AmiCygnix somewhere and people who had Sodipodi (Inkscape?), Gimp and so on running. Is anything alike possible on AROS?
Which programs do you use for word processing? Tex, WordWorth, ....? Or spreadsheet? Back in the days I had TurboCalc. Is that still around?
With AROS hosted on Linux all that is not critical, but I'd like to see how far I can get with AROS as a daily system and do mails, chat and so on. It doesn't need to be perfect. It's ok to invest some effort and / or not have all the bells and whistles ;).

That's it for now.
All the best,
snurf.T :)

CraigsBar

• View Profile
Re: still new but my systems are up and running :)
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 12:45:28 AM »
Hi all,

I was similarly inspired by Mr Jones and therefore also bought 2 D945GCLF2D boards (Always handy having a spare when using 10+ year old boards) however I cannot for the life of me get the Intel Accellerated video to work. VESA is fine but I need to get more flexible resolutions working that are simply not available in VESA modes (1440x900@60hz or 1366x768@60hz for example).

However as soon as I switch to one of these modes, or in fact something as simple as 1024x768@60hz using the Intel Driver then the screen corrupts on the next system boot (As a reboot is needed after saving the settings) These screen resolutions work fine on the monitor (and on the exact same boards using Windows 7) so can you let me know which AROS version you are using and how you have the graphics set up to actually work? I have had a really frustrating weekend so far having achieved nothing other than several reinstalls and lots of disapointment with Aros in general.

Regards

Craig.

paolone

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 02:07:45 PM »
@CraigsBar
Why are you reinstalling at all? Just boot with your installation media, open

AROS -> prefs -> Env-Archive
and look for screenmode.prefs file. Just delete it.

CraigsBar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 08:45:08 PM »
@CraigsBar
Why are you reinstalling at all? Just boot with your installation media, open

AROS -> prefs -> Env-Archive
and look for screenmode.prefs file. Just delete it.

Ta I will. I could not find any easy fix online 😊