Author Topic: Booting problems  (Read 1108 times)

kipe

Booting problems
« on: February 20, 2019, 01:00:56 PM »
Hi all, new here!

I’m trying to boot from i386 installation disk but it giving me errors. I put photo from screen to explain. I have Asrock N68C-S motherboard and wiki says that it’s somewhat supported. But its giving errors.

https://flic.kr/p/R5AcR8

I tested and installed Icaros on another motherboard but network didn’t work and have problems with sound too. So I changed this Asrock motherboard and it didn’t boot to Icaros, just black screen.

I would like to get Aros working. Thank for help.

paolone

Re: Booting problems
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 02:19:58 PM »
Your experience with AROS would really be more productive if you sticked with supported hardware.
Which means: FIRST I read what hardware works, THEN I get the hardware that works and IN THE END I install AROS onto it. NO vice-versa.

dizzy

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 05:22:54 PM »
Your experience with AROS would really be more productive if you sticked with supported hardware.
Which means: FIRST I read what hardware works, THEN I get the hardware that works and IN THE END I install AROS onto it. NO vice-versa.
That's not excatly the way I go around with AROS. I once had a motherboard that would not boot, it turned out that our ata/ide driver reseted the drive not once but twice, resulting in no boot. I think it was my first commit to the repo. If it was not fixed then not a lot of AROS booting would happen nowadays.

ncafferkey

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 06:46:40 PM »
IMHO there’s no harm in trying out AROS on random systems you have around, as long as you realise it’s likely to be more frustrating than buying a recommended system.

Anyway, did the photo come from an ABIv1 or v0 build, or from Icaros? Either way, try the noacpi and/or sysdebug=all GRUB options.

kipe

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 09:26:31 PM »
^photo came from ABIv1 and when I tested ABIv0 and it gave me black screen.
And Icaros also gave me black screen.

But thanks for tips, I’ll test those after weekend.

dizzy

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2019, 02:51:07 PM »
It's difficult to see what AROS is doing without some serial debug. It may have booted "correctly" but the display driver isn't working... and all the display is left unseen.

I have this DELL laptop which our NVidia driver is unable to fetch the correct display port (EDID etc...) it boots, but the display doesn't work. External monitor works though and it works pretty fast.

We have ancient Gallium driver that when updated would make this all go away.

We have no code to use USB debug (One port should always be able to directly communicate with other PC via "no-no usb cable" usb-a to usb-a) If you have a docking station that has serial port then you could see what AROS is doing in the background.

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Beige-USB-2-0-Cable/dp/B0002MKBI2

EDID: Oh, no ei sulla ollutkaan läppäriä, mutta sama homma. Ehkä näyttöajuri ei vain toimi... (Oh, well, you didn't have a laptop, but the same thing. Maybe the display driver doesn't just work ..)

EDID: It seems you have a serial port on your "not a laptop machine" Through that we could get some more information

EDID: It seems that your boot has halted before any display driver... There should be more debugs showing. NULL pointer isn't either a joy to see.
How is your BIOS setup?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 03:17:51 PM by dizzy »

kipe

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2019, 07:54:53 AM »
I got Icaros installed on a another motherboard (Asus M2N68-AM) and got a M-Audio soundcard (Audiophile 2496) and it works but while using it, it just crashes and you have to shutdown your computer. I installed Icaros on a old IDE drive, so it may be a fault.

ncafferkey

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2019, 02:24:13 PM »
Try disabling non-essential components to see if stability improves, e.g. audio and USB. I think it’s unlikely the drive is the problem.

BTW, did you bother with any if the tips we gave you for the other board?

kipe

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2019, 02:36:22 PM »
I tested v0 and v1 with noacpi but neither worked. Sysdebug gave more info. I will put link to the photo of screen later.

kipe

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2019, 07:07:43 AM »
Here's two photos from booting problems.

wawa

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2019, 02:47:28 PM »
hi, just passing comments from kalamatee..
@wawa btw that kipe on a-e … his debug suggests AROS has booted .. he might want to check what gfx card he is using and/or try other gfx options (bearbeitet)
but it appears hes using something that isn't properly supported

ncafferkey

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2019, 10:34:32 PM »
In the first photo it looks like it's getting stuck with USB initialisation. Try disabling USB in the GRUB menu: for ABIv0, remove usbromstartup.resource and poseidon.library.

In the second photo there may be problems with interrupts. Try adding "noacpi noapic noioapic" to the GRUB options.

kipe

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2019, 07:51:27 AM »
^Thanks for tip, I have to change back that motherboard and try. Maybe over weekend.

^^About that graphics card, I have GTX 660 which of course isn't supported but it's booting in other motherboard installation. I also have old 7600 GS which I could also try.

kipe

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2019, 09:03:50 AM »
I’m running Icaros now on it.  I tested noacpi noapic noioapic and it worked.
I tested network but it didn’t work.

Thanks for help.
Kimmo