Author Topic: OWB 1.25 - 3.11.2018  (Read 150 times)

Yanosh

OWB 1.25 - 3.11.2018
« on: February 10, 2019, 09:16:32 PM »
After a long backup of all of my data (almost 70 gb), I've updated my Aros box to Icaros 2.2.6. Everytime I try to watch something on Youtube then OWB crashes. Always. The same happens with Facebook... OWB crashes before the pager is fully loaded. This happens always, like with Youtube. Now I'm back to the older OWB and guess what? Facebook and Youtube works as usual. OWB crashes on my other pc too. So, is the new version of OWB still incomplete? Maybe the hardware I'm using is not supported by the new OWB?

wawa

Re: OWB 1.25 - 3.11.2018
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 03:14:31 PM »
if you mean odyssey then call it by name, aros owb is a completely different browser with a few years older webkit core.
what you refer to is odyssey acinerella interface to ffmpeg implemented via morphos glue interface (a single c file afair). so far i gather it has been known to be problematic on i386 abi vo in the past. i know it is problematic/doesnt really work with i386 abi v1 on my current odyssey compiles. it may be whatever, as far as im concerned, a bug in that code or too old version of ffmpeg it is linked against, because the standards have changed in the mean time. it seems morphos team is updating that part (i see pirus commits to acinerella) but they keep their changes closed. also someone here was attempting to update that part on their own, particularly for i386, but the approach has hit the wall it seems, as there is no further news about it.

i have been looking to update it myself. but i couldnt compile a working solution. it is too difficult for me.

nikos

• aspireos
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 03:40:39 PM »
It is a shame this is not working. It prevents me from using AROS as much as I would like to. Let's hope AROS for Pi might boost development again.

wawa

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 05:00:42 PM »
Someone expeienced needs to look up the code i mention, basically
a single source file, update to latest ffmpeg i have already commited and pull in latest acinerella, which is also just one file. And then either commit it to deadwoods repo or to my fork.

Yanosh

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 10:25:46 PM »
if you mean odyssey then call it by name, aros owb is a completely different browser with a few years older webkit core.

The first browser we had is too old for todays standards, so I think it's almost useless. Why should I worry if it doesn't work anymore?  :) "Odyssey Web Browser" is too long and boring to write, why I can't call it simply OWB? Both the executable and the directory are called only "OWB".  ???

what you refer to is odyssey acinerella interface to ffmpeg implemented via morphos glue interface (a single c file afair). so far i gather it has been known to be problematic on i386 abi vo in the past. i know it is problematic/doesnt really work with i386 abi v1 on my current odyssey compiles.

Does this mean I'm not the only one with this problem?

it may be whatever, as far as im concerned, a bug in that code or too old version of ffmpeg it is linked against, because the standards have changed in the mean time. it seems morphos team is updating that part (i see pirus commits to acinerella) but they keep their changes closed.

Morphos' OWB is closed source?

also someone here was attempting to update that part on their own, particularly for i386, but the approach has hit the wall it seems, as there is no further news about it.

The "OWB" I'm talking about is the updated one. It crashes both on Facebook and Youtube. The one compiled by Deadwood works good enough.

i have been looking to update it myself. but i couldnt compile a working solution. it is too difficult for me.

The only thing I know about "C" is that it comes after "B".  ;D