Author Topic: Is AMibridge already installed when I install AROS?  (Read 491 times)

santiago

Is AMibridge already installed when I install AROS?
« on: January 23, 2019, 10:41:34 PM »
Is Amibridge already installed when I installed AROS, or do I need to perform some separate action? I'm trying to get to the point that I can install Amiga Forever, or possibly the Amiga operating system itself.

I'm having a little trouble following things in the user's guide.

AMIGASYSTEM

jesswetmachine

• When world is not enough
    • my amiga and music blog
Re: Is AMibridge already installed when I install AROS?
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 10:16:51 AM »
Hi,
I've written a tutorial regarding the "coherency mode" that is allowed by janus-uae.
It's magical :)

https://amiga.thewetmachine.net/en/2016/12/07/janus-uae-tipstricks/
Cheers
my blog with music, amiga and icaros stuffs : https://thewetmachine.net/
* a1200 : aca 1232 030/128Meg - 8Gb - easynet - Indivision MKII - HxC slim - RapidRoad
* icaros box : DELL 755 - Pentium D - 2Gb - NVIDIA NVS 380 - intel 8169 eth - Audigy II

paolone

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 01:55:58 PM »
Is Amibridge already installed when I installed AROS, or do I need to perform some separate action? I'm trying to get to the point that I can install Amiga Forever, or possibly the Amiga operating system itself.

I'm having a little trouble following things in the user's guide.
I wonder why I am writing a manual for Icaros Desktop at all...

santiago

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 06:36:39 PM »
Your efforts are appreciated. The fact that I don't understand everything may be more of a reflection on me.

santiago

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2019, 06:22:38 PM »
I cannot say if others are having the same problems following the users' manual, but I am simply not understanding it. Rather than waste a lot of other peoples' time, I have decided, with regret, not to use AROS. I will revert to Amiga Forever.

jesswetmachine

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 08:35:28 AM »
@Santiago : ofcourse Amigaforever doesn't really offer the same service as Icaros, as Icaros is a complete amiga NG OS, where Amigaforever is just a (very well done) distribution of amiga emulation tools.

I'm sad to hear that you leave icaros, but ofcourse, if what you are searching for is only emulating, maybe you are right.

The problem is that it takes time to write a user manual, and there are such a small number of peoples using to work on icaros making, that it can be very difficult to : make new softwares, port new softwares, enhance the core, work on the default distribution config with all the options DOpus can offer...  and maintain a documentation.

But beside of this, there are many tutos all around the internet regarding to icaros.

I'll end with this : personnally, i find the user manual very readable. The only thing that lacks to me is a manual on advanced shell commands (message to @paololone :) ).

Cheers, and have a nice play on Amigaforever !
* a1200 : aca 1232 030/128Meg - 8Gb - easynet - Indivision MKII - HxC slim - RapidRoad
* icaros box : DELL 755 - Pentium D - 2Gb - NVIDIA NVS 380 - intel 8169 eth - Audigy II

paolone

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2019, 02:42:29 PM »
I'll end with this : personnally, i find the user manual very readable. The only thing that lacks to me is a manual on advanced shell commands (message to @paololone :) ).
Long ago I collected all the man pages for commands in development/bin in a new manual called "AROS GNU Tools", which should already allow writing advanced scripts which will work on Icaros and AROS as well (just remember that Icaros GNU tools are in a different drawer). Some day I will collect the force and start doing the same for other utilities and CLI commands spread all over the ditribution. Just don't hold your breath for that.

paolone

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2019, 03:01:26 PM »
I cannot say if others are having the same problems following the users' manual, but I am simply not understanding it. Rather than waste a lot of other peoples' time, I have decided, with regret, not to use AROS. I will revert to Amiga Forever.
If you just need Amiga emulation, it might be a better solution. Icaros Destkop allows integrating Amiga Forever: you just need to connect the AF cdrom (or mount its ISO file) and launch the "Integrate Amiga Forever" script included with AmiBridge. Then follow the on-screen instructions. Not all AF releases work, though, since Cloanto started changing names for Amiga ROMs and, best of all, made the mandatory rom.key file to be generated by user on the installation machine. So you have to generate it in a Windows machine and then copy it back to your AROS one.

That's why I am quietly abandoning support to Amiga Forever (no effort will be made to support the latest releases) in favour of AROS M68K.

jesswetmachine

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2019, 07:07:09 PM »
Long ago I collected all the man pages for commands in development/bin in a new manual called "AROS GNU Tools", which should already allow writing advanced scripts which will work on Icaros and AROS as well (just remember that Icaros GNU tools are in a different drawer). Some day I will collect the force and start doing the same for other utilities and CLI commands spread all over the ditribution. Just don't hold your breath for that.
I just remembered of such an answer on facebook about this, sorry. This maybe can be of help to other peoples... (let's say :) )

Does this mean that "advanced GNU CLI commands" documentation are in the "developpement/bin" drawer of Icaros ? (sorry for my bad english)

paolone

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2019, 01:52:46 PM »
The GNU Tools manual is in sys:Storage/Icaros Manuals with the Icaros and Aros Shell ones.