Author Topic: Trying to install under Linux Mint, can't get bootstrap to work under Arch folde  (Read 792 times)

santiago

I'm trying to install AROS 2.2.5 under Mint linux. When I get to the point of running the icaros script in the Icaros Desktop folder, I get the following message:

./icaros: line 23 /Arch/linux/AROSbootstrap: no such file or directory

I opened the icaros.sh file with a text editor. Line 23 indeed asks for the file named, using the path named. However, that file and path definately do exit.

Any ideas?

paolone

File permissions issue?

paolone

Ok, listen
I have just installed Icaros Desktop 2.2.6 (my current build) hosted on Linux Mint 19 32 bit and I just noticed that
1. I had to open another terminal window to give the ifconfig command and see the currently installed networks, while choosing the one to bind aros0 to.
2. it tells me to use ./icaros to launch AROS, but it does NOT cd me to the right installation path. I wonder why.
So in a nutshell I suspect you're trying to run ./icaros from the "/media/youruser/AROS Live CD" path instead of the right one. Please cd to ~\IcarosDesktop before, and you should be fine.

paolone

Ok, listen
I have just installed Icaros Desktop 2.2.6 (my current build) hosted on Linux Mint 19 32 bit and I just noticed that
1. I had to open another terminal window to give the ifconfig command and see the currently installed networks, while choosing the one to bind aros0 to.
2. it tells me to use ./icaros to launch AROS, but it does NOT cd me to the right installation path. I wonder why.
So in a nutshell I suspect you're trying to run ./icaros from the "/media/youruser/AROS Live CD" path instead of the right one. Please cd to ~\IcarosDesktop before, and you should be fine.
More on this
1. the original installation script was written when the output of a ifconfig -a command looked like this:
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:0c:29:4e:50:e3 
          UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
          Interrupt:19 Base address:0x2024

Unluckily, the same command now gives a fairly different output, so here's explained why the script didn't show the interfaces anymore. Now I found a different way to list network interfaces that should be good for older and newer linux distros.
2. I don't have yet understood why the command
cd "$idest"at the end of the Icaros installation script, simply refuses to work. It should move you to the installation path you choose at the beginning of the procedure, but for some unknown-to-me reason it fails to do that.

santiago

1. I am in the copy of Desktop in the home folder on my hard drive. Good guess, though.
2. While in my home folder, I did a sudo chmod -R 777 on the IcarosDesktop. (Yes, I know 777 is dangerous, but if I can get this thing working, and find the exact problem, I can redo it). I still get the same error message, even though the access should have been enabled.
3. You state "Now I found a different way to list network interfaces that should be good for older and newer linux distros." Is this something I can do on my end, or will there be an update somewhere?

If I can't resolve this in the next day or so, I'll try using the Arch distribution, since it looks like what may have been originally used and worked. However, my other Linux machines use Mint, so I'm just more familiar and comfortable with it.

Thanks for the help. At least I know I'm not going completely nuts.

santiago

OK. i Tried to do an installation under Arch. Frankly, although I don't doubt Arch has a lot of power, it was a real pain to install, and I still didn't get AROS running. It reminded me of the early days of Linux, where everything had to be configured manually.

I kept getting lost in where things were mounted/located.

Can anyone suggest a more modern distribution with which AROS is known to work?

nikos

• aspireos
I'm no expert with Linux. What I can say is that Icaros Desktop is the distribution you should use.
Remember Icaros Desktop is 32-bit. I guess you are running 64-bit OS. I know it is possible to run a 32-bit OS hosted still but I'm sure that if you install latest Ubuntu in 32-bit you will have no problems.

origami

./icaros: line 23 /Arch/linux/AROSbootstrap: no such file or directory\
Uhm, are you sure that is exactly what it reads ? By which i meant including the prefix slash (without anything else in front except that whitespace character)

AROS can only be invoked on host when your start directory represents the AROS SYS directory because the every file located is relative from SYS.

afaik /Arch/blah is not relative rather absolute at root level.

In case of doubt, please post the startup-script if you would be so kind.

I kept getting lost in where things were mounted/located.
With regards to Linux or Icaros AROS ?

I ask because for Icaros everything should be located into one single folder (which its own subfolders of course)

Can anyone suggest a more modern distribution with which AROS is known to work?
Every generic linux distribution should be able to do the trick

Remember Icaros Desktop is 32-bit. I guess you are running 64-bit OS. I know it is possible to run a 32-bit OS hosted still but I'm sure that if you install latest Ubuntu in 32-bit you will have no problems.
Indeed. If you are running a 64-bit linux while AROS hosted is effecively a 32-bit application then you would have to make sure your Linux distributon allows to install 64 and 32 bit side by side (the big up-to-date distribution allows to do that with their package managers). That also includes libraries, x, etc.

The quickest way would be to install a 32-bit linux distribution. Running 32 and 64 bit side by side can be a bit intimidating especially if you are not familiar with Linux.

santiago

Okay, I've spent several days trying to install AROS. It's probably time to share what I've learned.

I had tried to install AROS under Mint Tessa 64. Unfortunately, I ran into a message that said some files did not exist. After checking, I found the files did exist. I set their permissions at a level there should have been no problem, but the problem still existed.

Since the problem occurred in a directory called “Arch,” I concluded that the original work was probably done using Arch Linux. I tried that, only to get terribly lost. I would bet Arch is probably fine if you need to work with Linux at a very detailed level, and don't want things pre-decided for you. But that's not me.

Since Manjaro is based on Arch Linux, I decided to try it. That's when I found that AROS uses some of the commands which appear to have been built into Debian and its derivatives. Commands like “ifconfig”, are now depreciated in Arch and its derivatives. My resulting opinion is that AROS may not install under the newer versions of  Arch.

Someone suggested the problem might be that I was using 64 bit Linux software, and that AROS was 32 bit software. That sounded plausible, but my 32 bit copy of Mint Tessa won't install on my 64 bit machine. It may just be my copy and/or my machine, but it won't work.

I dropped back to Mint 17.1 32 bit, which installed satisfactorily. AROS appears to install under that operating system, although I hasten to say I've just installed it. I haven't run it.

This probably concludes this train of thought. I'm sure when I actually start using AROS, I'll have more questions. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions!

paolone

Hello Santiago
Icaros hosted is tailored to debian-based distributions and may not fit very well with other Linux variants. Unluckily there are just too much way to bundle Linux components and I have not the force, the will, the knowledge and the time to follow all of them. Installation and execution scripts of Icaros Desktop should be easy to adapt, though, if you have some basic-to-middle Linux skills. My skills are not better, in fact.
The /Arch directory in SYS: is not related to Arch Linux but it's just the directory which includes AROS boot files. Once upon a long ago it was named /boot, but for some reasons AROS developers decided to rename it to Arch, since many boot files might be incuded there. Which is, by the way, exactly the case of Icaros Desktop, since we have boot files for native, linux and windows hosted versions.
I hope you've resolved all of your issues now.

santiago

The installation issues seem to be resolved. Now we move on to actually using this thing.

My Linux knowledge sounds a lot like yours. I began using it around 1998, but I never delved too deeply into the innards. There are just too many distributions. Thanks for the help!