Author Topic: Error message when loading the desktop (Native)  (Read 1476 times)

dizzy

Re: Error message when loading the desktop (Native)
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2019, 12:49:56 PM »
I'm not sure if I could be of any help, but I'm still thinking that the partition library might have some doing with the error msg on first post.

Grub has an emergency shell that can show partitions. Maybe your pc has some sort of integrated device that aros tries to mount.

Transdude1996

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2019, 03:07:56 PM »
This happened first on v5.2 (Which worked just fine the previous day), and remained on v6.0. Also, this was on Icaros, and the Nightly builds, and this was without the use of a hard drive.
Did you perhaps by any chance mounted your USB pendrive as raw device and then attempted to install ? fwiw that is a no-go as it is able to destroy some pendrives. The way to do it is by using the host OS' virtual box USB drivers and then mount it to your virtual machine after AROS was boot up correctly from the mounted iso. Do note that VirtualBox is notorious for (re-)introducing bugs in those drivers (again and again unfortunately).

Also VirtualBox (especially in combination with AROS) has sometimes issues with time-outs provided with hubs that do not follow VirtalBox specifications. In that case try to mount from another (direct) header. Reboot of your Host OS is required when you run into such issues. AROS really only supports directly connected USB devices and in legacy (USB 1) mode only icw VirtualBox.

PS: with regards to USB, also note that windows (in case you are using that as host) seems to 'mount' a pendrive differently when you boot with a pendrive inserted. Please don't ask me why but it seems to be capable to disturb VirtualBox' drivers somehow. Might or might not be relevant for your case perhaps.

PPS:
This happened first on v5.2 (Which worked just fine the previous day), and remained on v6.0
Also noteable: last time i checked, VB host OS drivers are not interchangeable between different versions
Pretty much did all that already. Even uninstalled VB, deleted the leftover files related to it, and then reinstalled the program and started from scratch. However, I don't know what you mean by "another (direct) header".

I'm not sure if I could be of any help, but I'm still thinking that the partition library might have some doing with the error msg on first post.

Grub has an emergency shell that can show partitions. Maybe your pc has some sort of integrated device that aros tries to mount.

You referring to the "ls" command? All it's displaying is the CD drive (That I have plugged in) and the hard drive.

magorium

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2019, 03:37:45 PM »
However, I don't know what you mean by "another (direct) header".
With that i meant a USB header that has nothing else connected to it but only your USB pendrive. Note that some motherboards internally link a single header to multiple external USB connectors.

If you pass-through the pendrive to your virtual machine (note the USB 1.x controller configuration in your AROS VM, no other devices attached in your VM but your ISO cd-rom) that has AROS running then AROS should (under normal circumstances) pop-up a requester that a new usb device was detected. It might be listed as a unknown device on the workbench or display fat or ntfs (depending on what information was found on the pendrive). From there on you should be able to run the installer script. Depending on wether you booted Icaros or a nightly build you can either install a special pendrive installation (icaros) or do a full install (icaros and nightly) where you can follow the installation instructions as mentioned in the Icaros User manual (wipe disk and all that).

The only other isse that you perhaps could encounter (and as far as i am able to remember correctly) is that a non activated device/storage could bug AROS with regards to pendrives. If that is the case then try a reformat of your pendrive using a partition manager on your host OS and set its main partition to active.

Oh, and if you do a full install of Icaros (DVD version) then it will take about half a day to install (USB 1.x speeds suck bigtime) and requires a pendrive of minimal 8 GB (so better check with a nightly first as that only contains the basics and will easily fit on a 1 GB or even smaller pendrive)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 03:47:58 PM by magorium »

Transdude1996

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2019, 08:28:34 PM »
Yeah, it's still not working. AROS does register when I mount the USB in VB, and I can start the installation, but it still time's out after a certain point where it "freezes" for a few minutes and then produces and error. And, this was even with the "barebones" Icaros installation, after I restarted my entire computer after each action (First for wiping the thumbdrive in Windows, then after creating the SFS partition in VB), and after I unplugged all my USB devices aside from my keyboard and mouse.

Oh well. Given what I have, what can I do with the ABIv1 build that I burned to a disc (Since it's the only build of AROS that I can actually load) that would help solve the overall problem, or figure out why this problem is happening? Or, should I just install the nightly and call it a day?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 12:46:26 AM by Transdude1996 »

magorium

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2019, 04:07:21 AM »
Yeah, it's still not working. AROS does register when I mount the USB in VB, and I can start the installation, but it still time's out after a certain point where it "freezes" for a few minutes and then produces and error.
"after a certain" point is pretty vague at best :) .

One of the major advantages with a VM installation is that you are able to take screenshots of every step that you have taken.

Were you able to configure things like the size of your boot partition and work partition ? Did you opt for creating a work partition at all ? What are the sizes that you've allocate for those partitions, or did you just went for a single partition covering the whole pendrive ? How big is your pendrive ?

There can so many things go wrong there, even without taking into consideration that Paolone could have made an error somewhere in one of his scripts.

And, this was even with the "barebones" Icaros installation, after I restarted my entire computer after each action (First for wiping the thumbdrive in Windows, then after creating the SFS partition in VB), and after I unplugged all my USB devices aside from my keyboard and mouse.
Yes, tedious i know. But once you got things working then you can start thinking about cutting corners and throwing out the manual.

fwiw: a complete nightly install on a pendrive usually takes me about 10 minutes.

Just something to take into consideration as well: i once had AROS installed on a pendrive that for some obscure reason seems to have so many cache that when AROS was done installing, the pendrive was still flushing its writes 10 minutes after the installation was finished. The only reason i noticed it is because that particular pendrive has a little light that flashes when it writes to it. Guess what happens if i took out the pendrive at that point or did a reboot of the machine (be it virtual or native). Note however that very few pendrives suffer from this but it was just my luck back then. Very scary situation when having to do multiple reboots during intallation.

Oh well. Given what I have, what can I do with the ABIv1 build that I burned to a disc (Since it's the only build of AROS that I can actually load) that would help solve the overall problem, or figure out why this problem is happening? Or, should I just install the nightly and call it a day?
Well, if you wish to enjoy icaros then you are stuck with v0. So that would require you to install a v0 nightly and then manually installing Icaros on top of that. That is a tedious job.

For testing purposes, yes go ahead.

If you are able to boot up AROS (any distribution or nightly whatsoever) then you can start investigating what hardware is supported/recognized. Learn about your hardware and inform about your configuration.  So please boot it up, use PCI tool to discover your hardware and see if you are able to get sound and networking setup correctly. That way you are able to see how compatible AROS is with your hardware.

Perhaps the provided information is able to shed a light on why exactly a ABIv0 is unable to boot for you.

If you believe that it is satisfactory enough you could start thinking about installing (ic)AROS permanently on your internal HD, provided that we are able to discover what the culprit is (and are able to find a workaround that works for you).
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 04:14:28 AM by magorium »

Transdude1996

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2019, 08:46:05 AM »
ABIv1 doesn't have PCITools. Not yesterday's build, not today's build, and not the x64 build. However, I solved the problem with my thumbdrive (Apparently VirtualBox and AROS don't like a specific USB port on my desktop), so that option is available again, and I even tested it with the ABIv0 build (So back to the original problem).

Now, much earlier, you mentioned something about the Nightlies having a debugger that shows additional information. How do I access it?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 08:51:40 AM by Transdude1996 »

origami

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2019, 10:01:06 AM »
ABIv1 doesn't have PCITools. Not yesterday's build, not today's build, and not the x64 build.
Nonsense, see Sys:Developer/Debug/Hardware/PCITool for both i386 v1 bootiso from jan 8th and x64 v1 bootiso from jan 9th.

However, I solved the problem with my thumbdrive (Apparently VirtualBox and AROS don't like a specific USB port on my desktop), so that option is available again, and I even tested it with the ABIv0 build (So back to the original problem).
Glad you was able to figure that out. Take note of it as things like this have a habit of haunting you.

Now, much earlier, you mentioned something about the Nightlies having a debugger that shows additional information.
How do I access it?
Well, actually I did and not magorium (not that it matters much... 1 or 2 doors perhaps :) Thanks for the compliment though. In that posts it is written how to enable it in grub.

You can use bifteck to get a hold of it in a console window. Take note of bifteck related instructions here (paths are wrong though, wiki is old).

Transdude1996

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2019, 10:54:07 PM »
Here's the PCITool report.

dizzy

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2019, 06:18:39 AM »
For starters you can only use the USB2.0 ports (if available outside) There is no working USB3.x driver for AROS.

Transdude1996

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2019, 06:27:59 AM »
For starters you can only use the USB2.0 ports (if available outside) There is no working USB3.x driver for AROS.
Figured that by default (Which is why I've been plugging all my boot drives into the regular 2.0 port), but it seems to register my 3.0 port just fine. Or, is this in reference to VB?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 07:03:22 AM by Transdude1996 »

origami

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2019, 07:30:13 AM »
... but it seems to register my 3.0 port just fine. Or, is this in reference to VB?
It is Aros that is lacking driver support for 3.0. That they are registered properly is an added bonus feature :-)

BTW your pci info shows sata controller so the earlier posted link to the icaros desktop 2.x caveats and workarounds applies. Best would be to follow those instructions literally to see if any of it makes any differnce for you booting v0 abi. Use HD Toolbox (or your bootlog) to see if you are able to discover any hidden storage device(s) as suspected by dizzy. I would suggest to give it another try with a pendrive installation booting a v0 nightly and system debug grub addition in case it is able to get that far.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 07:57:06 AM by origami »

Transdude1996

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2019, 08:35:14 PM »
Best would be to follow those instructions literally to see if any of it makes any differnce for you booting v0 abi. Use HD Toolbox (or your bootlog) to see if you are able to discover any hidden storage device(s) as suspected by dizzy.
Okay. When I load it up HDTool (On v1), it displays 5 devices: "scsi.device" (Units: 0), "ata.device" (Units: 0), "ahci.device" (Units: 1), "usbscsi.device" (Units: 0), and "usbmss.device" (Units: 0). Only "ahci.device" is selectable, and, when I do open it, it displays a selectable "Unit 0" and:
Size: 7.8G
Partition Table: PC-MBR
Partitions: 0

Also (On v0), deleting the ahci.device entry line in Grub didn't change much of anything aside from a screen briefly popping up, after the shell, stating that AROS is waiting for a bootable media, just before loading the GUI and delivers the error.

I would suggest to give it another try with a pendrive installation booting a v0 nightly and system debug grub addition in case it is able to get that far.
On v0, the error still appears upon loading the GUI, but I kept seeing the shell displaying something have to do with "poseidon.library " and "dos.library" popping up along with "Initresident". Is there a way I can get a more "complete" report for you?

origami

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2019, 02:39:57 AM »
Okay. When I load it up HDTool (On v1), it displays 5 devices: "scsi.device" (Units: 0), "ata.device" (Units: 0), "ahci.device" (Units: 1), "usbscsi.device" (Units: 0), and "usbmss.device" (Units: 0). Only "ahci.device" is selectable, and, when I do open it, it displays a selectable "Unit 0" and:
Size: 7.8G
Partition Table: PC-MBR
Partitions: 0
Is it correct to state that you have booted from a sata dvd player, with a dvd ?

Things seem to look normal there.

Also (On v0), deleting the ahci.device entry line in Grub didn't change much of anything aside from a screen briefly popping up, after the shell, stating that AROS is waiting for a bootable media, just before loading the GUI and delivers the error.
This is for me still a bit of a wierd situation.

On v0, the error still appears upon loading the GUI, but I kept seeing the shell displaying something have to do with "poseidon.library " and "dos.library" popping up along with "Initresident".
Usually such errors occur when during boot the kernel is unable to locate some specifc files or otherwise gets interrupted.

Disturbance from plug and play comes to mind but afaik that usually happens sooner in the boot-process. Same goes for DVD player spinning down (and not up again). Did you perhaps noticed anything in particular with regards to that ?

Is there a way I can get a more "complete" report for you?
Yes, there is but not many motherboards have a port for it anymore. The output you see during boot (and after) can be captured by a serial device. The only other possibility is when you are able to at least get a shell window up and then "capture" the log output with bifteck.

It is a shame as you seem pretty close, about stuck at 1" before 3th base.

Unfortunately i'm running out of idea's pretty fast now so in case anyone watching this has an idea then please feel free to jump in.

Transdude1996

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2019, 05:26:57 AM »
Yes, there is but not many motherboards have a port for it anymore. The output you see during boot (and after) can be captured by a serial device. The only other possibility is when you are able to at least get a shell window up and then "capture" the log output with bifteck.
How about a video of the shell loading with the debug (That I recorded on my phone)? Be aware that the file is...rather large.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 10:01:09 PM by Transdude1996 »

Transdude1996

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2019, 06:17:49 AM »
I think I may have found the source of my problems!

Decided to just say the heck with it and install the ABIv1 build, however I...actually cannot. For some reason, the AROS installer states that the "Drive is full". I didn't want to do a wipe just in case it breaks the hard drive (Especially since the drive is empty), so I started searching the the previous forum archives for that specific issue error message. And, it wasn't until I inputted into the search "Disk is full SATA" that I finally started getting somewhere. A poster by the name of "nikolaos" (I'm assuming nikos' previous account) made a some threads about his hard drive with changing the "SATA support". Remembering that you guys were talking about that as well, and pointed to this post on common fixes (It went way over my head at the time and I didn't fully understand what you were hitting at), I finally decided to start searching the internet on how to change the mode on my hard drive to IDE or AHCI (Because the BIOS sure wasn't giving me options to do it). Eventually, I stumbled across this article: Lenovo slammed for OS-locking BIOS block
The consumer PC arm of tech giant Lenovo has denied locking alternative operating systems out of its Yoga family of laptops, but evidence suggests the presence of a very deliberate BIOS lock for exactly that purpose.

Lenogo's Yoga 900 and 900S convertible laptops, boasting what Lenovo describes as 360-degree hinges designed to easily convert between laptop and tablet modes, are available with a bloat-free variant of Windows 10 installed known as Windows 10 Signature Edition. These machines have been tempting those looking to ditch the factory-fitted operating system - and, in the case of Lenovo's consumer offerings, possibly with very good reason - in favour of alternative operating systems such as GNU/Linux or a BSD variant.

Unfortunately, it turns out that's not possible. Users have taken to social media to complain that the storage device in these laptops is locked into a RAID mode - an odd choice for a single-drive system - which is exclusively compatible with Windows 10 with the installation of a Lenovo-penned driver module. Those attempting to install any other operating system - including older versions of Windows - find the storage device entirely absent from the list of places on which to install said operating system.

'Our Yoga design requires very specific, complex and unique drivers that require even greater amounts of testing, to ensure class-leading performance with Windows 10. To support our Yoga products and our industry-leading 360-hinge design in the best way possible we have used a storage controller mode that is unfortunately not supported by Linux and as a result, does not allow Linux to be installed,' Lenovo has claimed in a statement on the matter, published late last night. 'Beyond the controller setup limitation, other advanced capabilities of the Yoga design would likely not work with current Linux offerings. Lenovo does not intentionally block customers using other operating systems such as Linux on Yoga or any of its devices and is fully committed to providing Linux certifications and installation guidance on a wide range of suitable products.'

The trouble with Lenovo's explanation is that it doesn't hold water. The use of a RAID mode for storage devices has no impact on the clever-or-otherwise hinge mode. More tellingly, users have succeeded in modifying the stock BIOS to allow a previously unavailable AHCI storage mode to be selected - at which point installing any third-party operating system becomes entirely possible, and the laptop works perfectly during and after installation. Lenovo's statement also flies in the face of a comment received by an affected user from Lenovo's official support department, published to reddit as part of a complaint thread: 'This system has a Signature Edition of Windows 10 Home installed. It is locked per our agreement with Microsoft.'

Now, as I said in the OP, my laptop is a Yoga 2 13, which started seeing released back in 2013. However, later in August of 2015, there was an update to the BIOS (That I'm assuming has a similar functionality to the lock-out mentioned in the above article), and I must have installed it while I was using windows 8/10 at the time (My hard drive failed just last year, and that's when I decided to start making the OS switch). And, looking at my laptop's "official" drivers, there isn't a "known" way for me to back flash it like the Yoga 900 users were eventually able to.

So, overall, where does that leave things?