Error message when loading the desktop (Native)

Transdude1996 · 1924

Transdude1996

on: January 03, 2019, 04:08:54 AM
I'm trying to install Icaros as the native OS for a Yoga 2 13, and upon loading the desktop, I receive this error message:

Software Failure!
Program failed
Taske : 0x01293CF0 - Boot Mount
Error : 0x80038007 - dos.library could not open library unknown
PC : 0x015AD613
Module Kickstart ELF Segment 1 .text (0x015AB700) Offset 0x00001F13
Wait for disk activity to finish

What does this message mean because I've encountered it with both Icaros and AspireOS.

sabbate

Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 05:41:19 AM
try to burn the ISO with verification

hi

Transdude1996

Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 06:27:51 AM
try to burn the ISO with verification
Imgburn verified that the disk is good, and I'm still getting the same result. Should I try installing an earlier version of Icaros (Before V2.2 because I tried v2.2.1 earlier and it had the same result), or install another OS before I install AROS (Such as FreeDOS)?

origami

Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 07:48:39 AM
I'm trying to install Icaros as the native OS for a Yoga 2 13, and upon loading the desktop, I receive this error message:
Upon loading what and when exactly ?

When Loading the OS from cd/dvd or was it already installed succesfully and then you recieved this error ?

afaik the yoga does not have a (internal) cd/dvd player so i'm guessing you have a external cd/dvd player connected and you receive the error when booting the cd/dvd before AROS is actually  installed on the (internal) HD. If that is the case: are you using a docking station or other kind of hub to connect your installation media (be it cd/dvd or pendrive) ?

What does this message mean because I've encountered it with both Icaros and AspireOS.
The message means that dos library is unable to locate a specifc library... which is a bit of a problem when Aros is handling mount process. I'm a bit puzzled by the "unknown library" part though.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 08:03:04 AM by origami »

Transdude1996

Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 08:18:54 AM
i'm guessing you have a external cd/dvd player connected and you receive the error when booting the cd/dvd before AROS is actually  installed on the (internal) HD. If that is the case: are you using a docking station or other kind of hub to connect your installation media (be it cd/dvd or pendrive) ?
Yes, that's it. I'm booting AROS directly from a burned DVD disc and (After exiting Grub, and the "loading screen"?) I encounter the error just when the desktop is suppose to load. Also, the DVD drive is plugged directly into one of the two USB ports on the laptop (Ones a 3.0 port, the other is a regular port, and there isn't a change in the result despite which one I use, but I still default to using the regular port).
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 08:22:16 AM by Transdude1996 »

origami

Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 09:32:05 AM
Yes, that's it. I'm booting AROS directly from a burned DVD disc and (After exiting Grub, and the "loading screen"?) I encounter the error just when the desktop is suppose to load.
hmz. Did you perhaps notice a physical spin-down of the dvd drive just after grub is booting (and no spin-up again) ?

fwiw: there are issues with a cd/dvd disc that is burned too fast. It is better to try writing at 1x speed then it is to write at higher speeds. Since i've experienced many isues when using rewriteables i've  switched to booting from pendrive (long time ago, and haven't used dvd drive anymore for over a decade now). also fwiw pendrive booting is only possible by installing aros on sfs formatted pendrive, so the only sane way to do that when not having another machine capable of booting aros  is to use a virtual machine (vbox/vmware or similar).

I do not have hands on experience with yoga but are you perhaps able to tweak the bios settings somewhat ? e.g. allow for legacy USB ? (as aros supports 2.x and pretty much dislikes any kind of hub and sometimes get interference form other devices when connected on the same USB header). Also worth experimenting with disabling your internal boot device in case your bios allows it (if only to see if AROS gets confused by boot order or something similar).

Note that using a nightly allows you to show extended information during boot process by altering the grub settings (sysdebug=all). Perhaps that is able to provide some more informative feedback.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 09:37:18 AM by origami »

dizzy

Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 09:52:04 AM
I've encountered a similar error message. It showed up when there was no partition.library build (On hosted), fat filesystem needs it at least. Was a bit puzzled at the time for the error message as it is not informative in anyway.

Transdude1996

Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 07:41:36 PM
Yes, that's it. I'm booting AROS directly from a burned DVD disc and (After exiting Grub, and the "loading screen"?) I encounter the error just when the desktop is suppose to load.
hmz. Did you perhaps notice a physical spin-down of the dvd drive just after grub is booting (and no spin-up again) ?
No, the drive was still running and only spinned down a second or two after the error message pops up.

fwiw: there are issues with a cd/dvd disc that is burned too fast. It is better to try writing at 1x speed then it is to write at higher speeds. Since i've experienced many isues when using rewriteables i've  switched to booting from pendrive (long time ago, and haven't used dvd drive anymore for over a decade now). also fwiw pendrive booting is only possible by installing aros on sfs formatted pendrive, so the only sane way to do that when not having another machine capable of booting aros  is to use a virtual machine (vbox/vmware or similar).
It didn't work. I'll try going a bootable USB drive next (Wasted enough discs). I just don't care for how..."unpreservable" USBs are in their function.

I do not have hands on experience with yoga but are you perhaps able to tweak the bios settings somewhat ? e.g. allow for legacy USB ? (as aros supports 2.x and pretty much dislikes any kind of hub and sometimes get interference form other devices when connected on the same USB header). Also worth experimenting with disabling your internal boot device in case your bios allows it (if only to see if AROS gets confused by boot order or something similar).
Here are all of the bios options and their current setting:
USB Legacy : Enabled
Wireless LAN : Enabled
Power Beep: Disabled
Intel Virtual Technology : Enabled
BIOS Back Flash : Disabled
Hotkey Mode : Enabled
Intel(R) AT Support System : Enabled

Administrator Password : Not Set
User Password : Not Set
HDD Password : Not Set

Boot Mode : Legacy Support
Boot Priority : Legacy First
USB Boot : Enabled
PXE Boot to LAN : Disabled
(Boot mode currently has the USB taking priority over the SATA hard drive)

OS Optimized Defaults : Other OS

Note that using a nightly allows you to show extended information during boot process by altering the grub settings (sysdebug=all). Perhaps that is able to provide some more informative feedback.
Which nightlies, the ABIv1 or ABIv0 builds? Tried using the 64-bit build from the former source, and the error I encounter upon loading the desktop is:
Software Failure!
Program failed
Task : 0x0000000100308380 - hid.class<002F89F4>
Error : 0x00000003 - Illegal address access
PC : 0x0000000097DB901A
Module hid.class Segment 1 .text (0x0000000097DB3980) Offset 0x000000000000569A
Function nParseReport (0x0000000097DB7EA0) Offset 0x000000000000117A
Wait for disk activity to finish.

I've encountered a similar error message. It showed up when there was no partition.library build (On hosted), fat filesystem needs it at least. Was a bit puzzled at the time for the error message as it is not informative in anyway.
So, format the hard drive to FAT before I insert the AROS disk? OH! I really should have mentioned this in the OP, I'm installing this on a fresh 500 GB hard drive that I just received in the mail. Should I try formatting the drive to FAT first and then insert the AROS disc?

origami

Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 09:10:24 PM
Thank you for the extensive feedback  Transdude1996

Let me start with saying that i've never encountered the exact same error message that you currently seem to be confronted with. From experience my suspicion is that either the boot medium is damaged or AROS tries to locate the required libraries on a device that isn't accesible at that time during the boot process (hence the suggestion to disable internal boot device). fwiw we had a time period where AROS tried to locate the system files from the internal fat/ntfs disk when the volume label met "SYS" and when the fat/ntfs driver was enabled during boot (this should not be able to happen anymore).

It didn't work. I'll try going a bootable USB drive next (Wasted enough discs).
Yes, wasting discs is another good reason to switch to pendrive. Another one is that it is much easier to travel with that pendrive and insert it into any other machine to see if AROS is able to boot from it.

I just don't care for how..."unpreservable" USBs are in their function.
They aren't. Just do not use the pendrive to work from but rather use it as installation media. I do have pendrives that i use as 'work system' but that is just because i often find myself wanting to quickly test software on particular hardware.

Which nightlies, the ABIv1 or ABIv0 builds? Tried using the 64-bit build from the former source,
Sorry, my bad.

Icaros desktop is based on ABIv0 while the more advanced is ABIv1. For better information feedback it might be advisable to test with abiV1 but if you wish to stay on par with Icaros/AspireOS then try to replicate with v0 nightly. The v0 nightly boot should be 100% similar (minus perhaps added/removed drivers in AspireOS/Icaros).

I would also suggest to stick to 32-bit for the moment (AspireOS and Icaros are as well).

and the error I encounter upon loading the desktop is:
Software Failure!
Just for the record. In either case (nightly or Icaros boot) when you say "upon loading the desktop" does that mean you already have a GUI interface or is the software failure presented to you in the console (grub) shell ?

In case your setup is presenting the errors into something that looks like a GUI, then try to do a cold boot and press the space-bar directly after grub has selected which entry to boot from (timing is important there). It alows to bypass the workbench loading script. If it is in any way related to "loading wrong drivers" then you should be able to boot into a AROS GUI shell and be able to work with boot logs (which are far more elaborating). See debug=memory in grub and biftec to copy that boot information from memory into a conole window (or disk).

Im also puzzled by the 64 bit booting error message that refers to hidd (might be similar in nature as dizzy described earlier)

So, format the hard drive to FAT before I insert the AROS disk? OH! I really should have mentioned this in the OP, I'm installing this on a fresh 500 GB hard drive that I just received in the mail. Should I try formatting the drive to FAT first and then insert the AROS disc?
No... please do not format fat32 but rather remove any partion information. That is what aros installer needs as well as it uses free space (not allocated with fat) when attempt to install from the installer script. In case AROS is unable to prepare your drive (mind the bootblock protection in BIOS when present or even worse hidden (boot) partitions that Windows is famous for) then we can try to deal with that later.

If user dizzy is the same person as dizzyofCRN from the old aros-exec forums then i would stick with his observations and try to remove the ntfs/fat32 handler. If what he writes is the case then AROS seems to indicate wanting to try loading some drivers from your internal HD (or at least tries to make an attempt). I find the context in relation to your issue a bit odd though but that might be my inexperience with (your) specifc hardware.

@paolone and/or system developer:
Has that bugger sneaked into there again (that you are aware of) ?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 10:01:15 PM by origami »

Transdude1996

Reply #9 on: January 04, 2019, 09:26:23 AM
From experience my suspicion is that either the boot medium is damaged or AROS tries to locate the required libraries on a device that isn't accesible at that time during the boot process (hence the suggestion to disable internal boot device). fwiw we had a time period where AROS tried to locate the system files from the internal fat/ntfs disk when the volume label met "SYS" and when the fat/ntfs driver was enabled during boot (this should not be able to happen anymore).
The error is still present after creating a bootable thumb drive with VirtualBox

Which nightlies, the ABIv1 or ABIv0 builds? Tried using the 64-bit build from the former source,
Sorry, my bad.

Icaros desktop is based on ABIv0 while the more advanced is ABIv1. For better information feedback it might be advisable to test with abiV1 but if you wish to stay on par with Icaros/AspireOS then try to replicate with v0 nightly. The v0 nightly boot should be 100% similar (minus perhaps added/removed drivers in AspireOS/Icaros).

I would also suggest to stick to 32-bit for the moment (AspireOS and Icaros are as well).
I'll see about giving those a try later.

and the error I encounter upon loading the desktop is:
Software Failure!
Just for the record. In either case (nightly or Icaros boot) when you say "upon loading the desktop" does that mean you already have a GUI interface or is the software failure presented to you in the console (grub) shell ?
After the shell finishes loading and the GUI first appears.

In case your setup is presenting the errors into something that looks like a GUI, then try to do a cold boot and press the space-bar directly after grub has selected which entry to boot from (timing is important there). It alows to bypass the workbench loading script. If it is in any way related to "loading wrong drivers" then you should be able to boot into a AROS GUI shell and be able to work with boot logs (which are far more elaborating). See debug=memory in grub and biftec to copy that boot information from memory into a conole window (or disk).
Just tried it a few times (Even spammed the spacebar immediately after Grub auto-selected), and I'm still encountering the error.

No... please do not format fat32 but rather remove any partion information. That is what aros installer needs as well as it uses free space (not allocated with fat) when attempt to install from the installer script. In case AROS is unable to prepare your drive (mind the bootblock protection in BIOS when present or even worse hidden (boot) partitions that Windows is famous for) then we can try to deal with that later.
Both FDisk and GParted LiveCD didn't find any already used space on the hard drive. If there's another program you'd like for me to use to check, I could, but this is also a fresh hard drive that I haven't installed anything on yet.

If user dizzy is the same person as dizzyofCRN from the old aros-exec forums then i would stick with his observations and try to remove the ntfs/fat32 handler. If what he writes is the case then AROS seems to indicate wanting to try loading some drivers from your internal HD (or at least tries to make an attempt). I find the context in relation to your issue a bit odd though but that might be my inexperience with (your) specifc hardware.
While not an exact 1-to-1 comparison, the compatability page over on Wikibooks lists three different Yoga model laptops loading AROS without any extra work. However, those "tests" were 4-5 years ago. Should I also see if a build from back then will function?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 09:32:55 AM by Transdude1996 »

origami

Reply #10 on: January 04, 2019, 10:55:48 AM
The error is still present after creating a bootable thumb drive with VirtualBox
Ok. As an additional test did you also happen to test if you are able to boot AROS from that thumbdrive with virtualbox ?

After the shell finishes loading and the GUI first appears.
Ok, that is very helpfull for your case.

Just tried it a few times (Even spammed the spacebar immediately after Grub auto-selected), and I'm still encountering the error.
fwiw, AROS boot sequence consist of first loading the kernel where it checks for some early boot conditions. The early boot menu is actually a graphical preboot environment that can be invoked when pressing both mousebuttons during startup. Another condition is that it checks for the spacebar. Keep it pressed from selection in grub through the first AROS GUI appearance. It might be that you still get an error requester but cancelling that requester should (in theory) allow you to enter the GUI shell window. Since no drivers are loaded or any other setup is done it is very spartanic (only internal shell commands are present), but we can help you with that when you are able to get there.

Do note that i have encountered situations in the past where the GUI stays blank after canceling the requester. Just give it another swirl and try again. Please report if you are unable to retreive an actual shell where you can enter commands after 2 or 3 tries.

Both FDisk and GParted LiveCD didn't find any already used space on the hard drive. If there's another program you'd like for me to use to check, I could, but this is also a fresh hard drive that I haven't installed anything on yet.
No, that should be enough. Thanks for checking and reporting back. As i said before the best/easiest thing would be if you are able to disable the internal drive and/or controller (or physically disconnect entirely). that would enable to pinpont the culprit the quickest and/or allows to see if we are on the right track here.

While not an exact 1-to-1 comparison, the compatability page over on Wikibooks lists three different Yoga model laptops loading AROS without any extra work. However, those "tests" were 4-5 years ago. Should I also see if a build from back then will function?
It can't hurt to try but i fear it might perhaps be a waste of time.

Sine you've now got a thumbdrive installation you might be able to tweak your installation a little with removing/renaming things such as particular libraries and/or handlers or your grub config. Make sure you got things backed up properly so that you are able to revert though.

It might perhaps be helpful to have a look here in this thread on old forums (in case you haven't already).

Transdude1996

Reply #11 on: January 08, 2019, 07:07:29 AM

A few questionable things occurred over the past few days. First, VirtualBox is no longer having it with installing AROS onto a USB (The USB seems to keep timing out at some point with the AROS installation and causes an error, this was happening with all attempts and I even tried another USB from a different brand and different size with the same result). So, I just figured that I'd use two more CDs to try to install the latest Nightly builds. Second, the ABIv1 20190107 actually loaded completely without any problems (Meanwhile the ABIv0 nightly refused to start up at all, even forced the computer to restart after several minutes of nothing but a blank screen after my laptop showed the manufacturer's logo).

What does this mean?

magorium

• Convicted non contributor
Reply #12 on: January 08, 2019, 07:30:15 AM
A few questionable things occurred over the past few days. First, VirtualBox is no longer having it with installing AROS onto a USB (The USB seems to keep timing out at some point with the AROS installation and causes an error, this was happening with all attempts and I even tried another USB from a different brand and different size with the same result).
Which version of VirtualBox and what Operating System are you using ? Note that afaik legacy USB has to be configured for your Virtual Machine and the USB pendrive must be blank. Also take note of the boot order and not enable a internal drive/controller in case you boot dircetly from the .iso file.

(Meanwhile the ABIv0 nightly refused to start up at all, even forced the computer to restart after several minutes of nothing but a blank screen after my laptop showed the manufacturer's logo).
Which grub option did you choose from ? afaik the default option will attempt to load drivers for your graphics card if it is recognized but in case your gfx chipset is not 100% supported or having monitor issues then this can result in AROS being booted correctly except for not displaying an actual output for you. In that case choose the vesa option.

Transdude1996

Reply #13 on: January 08, 2019, 07:38:15 AM
Which version of VirtualBox and what Operating System are you using ? Note that afaik legacy USB has to be configured for your Virtual Machine and the USB pendrive must be blank. Also take note of the boot order and not enable a internal drive/controller in case you boot dircetly from the .iso file.
This happened first on v5.2 (Which worked just fine the previous day), and remained on v6.0. Also, this was on Icaros, and the Nightly builds, and this was without the use of a hard drive.

Which grub option did you choose from ? afaik the default option will attempt to load drivers for your graphics card if it is recognized but in case your gfx chipset is not 100% supported or having monitor issues then this can result in AROS being booted correctly except for not displaying an actual output for you. In that case choose the vesa option.
It didn't load grub at all.

magorium

• Convicted non contributor
Reply #14 on: January 08, 2019, 07:55:30 AM
This happened first on v5.2 (Which worked just fine the previous day), and remained on v6.0. Also, this was on Icaros, and the Nightly builds, and this was without the use of a hard drive.
Did you perhaps by any chance mounted your USB pendrive as raw device and then attempted to install ? fwiw that is a no-go as it is able to destroy some pendrives. The way to do it is by using the host OS' virtual box USB drivers and then mount it to your virtual machine after AROS was boot up correctly from the mounted iso. Do note that VirtualBox is notorious for (re-)introducing bugs in those drivers (again and again unfortunately).

Also VirtualBox (especially in combination with AROS) has sometimes issues with time-outs provided with hubs that do not follow VirtalBox specifications. In that case try to mount from another (direct) header. Reboot of your Host OS is required when you run into such issues. AROS really only supports directly connected USB devices and in legacy (USB 1) mode only icw VirtualBox.

It didn't load grub at all.
Ok, that is really wierd. The only thing i can think of is either a misburn or faulty el-torito. Especially when v1 boots correctly (which seems to indicate that your BIOS is handling things correctly).

Perhaps one of the more experienced people around are able to give a hand. Neil or Jyrki perhaps (not knowing which others are here)

PS: with regards to USB, also note that windows (in case you are using that as host) seems to 'mount' a pendrive differently when you boot with a pendrive inserted. Please don't ask me why but it seems to be capable to disturb VirtualBox' drivers somehow. Might or might not be relevant for your case perhaps.

PPS:
This happened first on v5.2 (Which worked just fine the previous day), and remained on v6.0
Also noteable: last time i checked, VB host OS drivers are not interchangeable between different versions
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 08:30:36 AM by magorium »