Author Topic: Error message when loading the desktop (Native)  (Read 1677 times)

origami

Re: Error message when loading the desktop (Native)
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2019, 08:17:00 PM »
How about a video of the shell loading with the debug (That I recorded on my phone)? Be aware that the file is...rather large.
Yes, that for sure helps (sorry i didn't think of that myself). I got two remarks on that a) the resolution is ridiculous (perhaps not something you are ale to do something about at recording time) and b) it skips the last say about 10 seconds for me. So i had some delay in trying to fix that (sorry for that)

Just for the record: what version of AROS are you booting there exactly ? I seem to be missing some output ?

origami

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2019, 08:32:40 PM »
So, overall, where does that leave things?
So, you are telling that you are unable to turn off secure boot in your BIOS ? Changing BIOS to use legacy boot does not change anything ?

afaik AROS does not support secure boot at all.

Just as a side-track, are you able to install (v1 as that seems to boot for you) onto a sd-card (i've just noticed your hardware has a sd-card slot)

I'm a bit stuck with your installation of v1 issue as it seems a problem that was encountered during icaros desktop 2.x Wip releases (which is v0 abi). Same user methanoid reported something similar earlier in another thread, which seems more in line with your specific issue (i'll dig up that thread in case interrested, i can't find it back atm). Everything seems to boot fine but installing  onto internal SSD causes AROS to throw errors.

With regards to abiv0 it would be helpfull if you are able to give it another try and get into the early boot menu (press both left and right mousebuttons right after grub menu entry is booting) and have some pictures of that menu. In case your mouse isn't working in the EBM, then unplug and insert you mouse again (that usually helps). Then select to boot without startup-sequence to see if you are able to boot into a shell. If that works we could take the next step in attempting to identify the issue.

In case anyone else has an idea then please feel free to jump in. Also because I usually do not use V1 abi at all. A Aros developer might have better information with regards to v1 ABI, but systemn developers seems less active on the forums.

Transdude1996

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2019, 08:39:06 PM »
How about a video of the shell loading with the debug (That I recorded on my phone)? Be aware that the file is...rather large.
Yes, that for sure helps (sorry i didn't think of that myself). I got two remarks on that a) the resolution is ridiculous (perhaps not something you are ale to do something about at recording time)
I can control that to an extent, and I set all the quality settings to the max figuring it would deliver the best clarity because earlier attempts had some of the text in the shell blurring together because of the screen's glow. I'll see about making it a more reasonable size next time.

b) it skips the last say about 10 seconds for me. So i had some delay in trying to fix that (sorry for that)
It's okay.

Just for the record: what version of AROS are you booting there exactly ? I seem to be missing some output ?
The ABIv0 build from last Monday.

So, overall, where does that leave things?
So, you are telling that you are unable to turn off secure boot in your BIOS ? Changing BIOS to use legacy boot does not change anything ?
There is no secure boot option, unless I set to boot mode for UEFI. And, I have changed the BIOS to allow USB legacy support, set boot mode to legacy support, set boot priority to legacy first, and changed the OS optimized defaults to Other OS. But, the problem is that I cannot find a way to actually change the SATA hard drive's mode to AHCI or IDE.

Just as a side-track, are you able to install (v1 as that seems to boot for you) onto a sd-card (i've just noticed your hardware has a sd-card slot)
Didn't know that I can do that. I'll see about giving it a whirl.

I'm a bit stuck with your installation of v1 issue as it seems a problem that was encountered during icaros desktop 2.x Wip releases (which is v0 abi). Same user methanoid reported something similar earlier in another thread, which seems more in line with your specific issue (i'll dig up that thread in case interrested, i can't find it back atm). Everything seems to boot fine but installing  onto internal SSD causes AROS to throw errors.

With regards to abiv0 it would be helpfull if you are able to give it another try and get into the early boot menu (press both left and right mousebuttons right after grub menu entry is booting) and have some pictures of that menu. In case your mouse isn't working in the EBM, then unplug and insert you mouse again (that usually helps). Then select to boot without startup-sequence to see if you are able to boot into a shell. If that works we could take the next step in attempting to identify the issue.
I know that the premade Icaros Grub options allows for the user to enter early boot without having to use any keyboard shortcuts. Would that still work? Never mind.

In case anyone else has an idea then please feel free to jump in. Also because I usually do not use V1 abi at all. A Aros developer might have better information with regards to v1 ABI, but systemn developers seems less active on the forums.
So, try to keep everything restricted to ABIv0. Okay.

EDIT: Actually, now I'm wondering something. Just to make sure that the problem isn't a complete OS lock-out (And just a problem with AROS), should I try to see if I can install a different OS, something light like FreeDOS or TempleOS (Something I can easily remove)?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 10:39:03 PM by Transdude1996 »

origami

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2019, 11:13:23 PM »
I can control that to an extent, and I set all the quality settings to the max figuring it would deliver the best clarity because earlier attempts had some of the text in the shell blurring together because of the screen's glow. I'll see about making it a more reasonable size next time.
Well, i am currently bound to full-hd but tbh 320x200 or something to that extend should be enough  :P

But on a more serious note, the glaring is still there because the rates of recording and monitor are not in sync and there is not much that can be done about that (unless you happen to have a high-speed camera or an output capturing device).

The ABIv0 build from last Monday.
Oke, thanks for the info.

There is no secure boot option, unless I set to boot mode for UEFI. And, I have changed the BIOS to allow USB legacy support, set boot mode to legacy support, set boot priority to legacy first, and changed the OS optimized defaults to Other OS. But, the problem is that I cannot find a way to actually change the SATA hard drive's mode to AHCI or IDE.
I understand. Sorry for the mantra but it happens on occasion that instructions are not always followed. I had to work with stills and therefor was not sure which way your BIOS implemented it (seems to be the other way around as i thought).

That should be ok, except for the fact that you seem unable to change SATA mode. Usually that can be solved with the grub option(s) as mentioned in the caveats and workaround threads.

Didn't know that I can do that. I'll see about giving it a whirl.
afaik you have two options there, either native boot from cd/dvd and install directly onto SD or use your virtual machine.

Do note though that when going the raw device way in case your host machine has an sd-card reader/writer that you can only do that when you mount the sd-card as raw device to your VBox (please read the VBOX manual thoroughly on that subject). That is a bit risky because it allows you to mount the wrong device (such as your internal HD or a pendrive that happens to be inserted). Numbers are everything there so make sure you check and double-check or are able to revert in case something goes wrong.

I know that the premade Icaros Grub options allows for the user to enter early boot without having to use any keyboard shortcuts. Would that still work? Never mind.
I still answer in case someone else is reading this thread:
Yes, that should still work although i don't know the grub option from memory so i would have to check in the source-tree of AROS. The mouse-button-press should be able to do the trick though (unless your USB hardware is entirely unsupported by AROS).

So, try to keep everything restricted to ABIv0. Okay.
Well, you can of course do as you wish :) It is just that i'm unable to provide any help that is accurate enough. I stopped experimenting with v1 when things changed about every other day and i was unable to keep up with the changes.

EDIT: Actually, now I'm wondering something. Just to make sure that the problem isn't a complete OS lock-out (And just a problem with AROS), should I try to see if I can install a different OS, something light like FreeDOS or TempleOS (Something I can easily remove)?
Yes, i was already thinking to suggest that but the first thing that popped into mind was a linux distro as that is usually the easiest to install but afaik that supports secureboot in this day and age (unless locked entirely) ? But indeed you can try that in order to verify.

On another note that also happens to be mentioned in that same thread as methanoid posted, nikos seem to have experienced something unusual with regards to the device numbering depending on enabling ahci or not but your HD-toolbox from successfull v1 boot seems to report it correctly. Ah well, you probably have digged yourself through many of the threads already....

Transdude1996

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2019, 08:30:54 AM »
FreeDOS was able to install, but I experienced several hiccups along the way. Haiku either crashed or froze (Even on UEFI) before I could even do anything.

Should I just take the plunge and install Windows 8.1 on the darn thing, free up enough drive space to install AROS, and then see if I can dualboot it? Or will it not make much of a difference?

origami

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2019, 10:22:31 PM »
Sorry to hear that nothing seems to be working for you transdude1996  :'(

Thank you for your patience and feedback so far. Perhaps it can be addressed (developer wise or instruction wise) when a more qualified person is around.

Dual booting should not make a difference whatsoever. It would even complicate things a bit more with regards to overwriting bootblock.

Another option for you might perhaps be be to run AROS hosted. Icaros should also be able to run hosted on your device. That can be done with Windows or Linux as host. Linux would imo be the better option there because of available drivers to the host.

With a bit of tweaking you could directly boot x into AROS so that Linux won't be as visible.

Another route in that regards can be aeros as that contains both the Linux and AROS parts. Note that i don't use aeros myself though so you might want to speak to user phoenixkonsole in case you have questions/issues about aeros.

Transdude1996

« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2019, 04:48:11 AM »
Well, that sucks. Was hoping to begin migrating away from using Windows given the fresh hard drive on my laptop. Well, actually, I could still do that by having my desktop and my other laptop (Which, I honestly don't use that often because of how sensitive it is with the battery connection is) dualboot AROS since both seemed to load the drives without any problems.

Also, I don't really want to use UNIX. Anyways, thanks for the help.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 08:48:16 AM by Transdude1996 »

origami

« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2019, 01:45:39 AM »
Well, that sucks. Was hoping to begin migrating away from using Windows given the fresh hard drive on my laptop.
Depending on your needs i would not qualify AROS as being suited to replace a full-fledged OS like Windows.

AROS is alpha software, and it will stay that way for quite a while (unless a shiteload of developers come along all of a sudden).

It is enough for (some of) my (special) needs but AROS is lacking in many departments.

If i've done my homework correctly then AROS won't be of much help with your video editing for example.

Also, I don't really want to use UNIX. Anyways, thanks for the help.
Well, you do not have to ...

Either load it directly on top of your linux in which case you are using linux for the bare minimum only e.g. providing a suited host environment or use Windows as a host.

The reason to mention linux is that developers themselves use such a setup and therefor linux has the better driver support e.g. AROS utilizing the host OS API.

Mind you, running AROS hosted might even provide a better experience then running it natively.

For instance for native you have to be lucky with regards to having your gfx/audio/network hardware hardware supported.

Provided that you are running some linux that has all (suitable) drivers available for your hardware then AROS works with about any hardware out of the box and for instance allows accelerated graphics. Windows hosted is a bit less supported in that area.

At the same time hosted allows you to get yourself familiar with AROS (icaros) and see for yourself what it is lacking.

fwiw AROS hosted runs as any other application on the host. There are no extra's required. You can even install/run multiple instances of AROS next to eachother. V0, V1, icaros they all can be installed side by side and invoked at any time you wish.

I have AROS running on my pi with no x running/installed. Just bare bones. Although admittingly it has its merits (but that is probably due to arm not being a prime target for the developers).

Transdude1996

« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2019, 11:11:56 PM »
Well, that sucks. Was hoping to begin migrating away from using Windows given the fresh hard drive on my laptop.
Depending on your needs i would not qualify AROS as being suited to replace a full-fledged OS like Windows.

AROS is alpha software, and it will stay that way for quite a while (unless a shiteload of developers come along all of a sudden).

It is enough for (some of) my (special) needs but AROS is lacking in many departments.

If i've done my homework correctly then AROS won't be of much help with your video editing for example.
As far as I know, it's still one of the only viable options out there. While you did always have the option of using Linux instead of Windows or Mac due to it's support over the years, events towards the end of last year pretty much destroyed the reputation and faith Linux had (Not to mention how vast amounts of the code can get scrubbed at any time thanks to the legal powers former contributers have). With events stemming from that, options have become limited on alternatives. You do have some OSes out there like FreeDOS and TempleOS/ShrineOS, but the former is pretty much irrelevant for any computer made after the turn of the century (Unless you're installing it on DosBox), and the latter is a meme that can't be used for much else aside from programming and talking to God (Unless DivineOS actually goes anywhere). BSD is safe bet for UNIX users if you stick to OpenBSD, NetBSD, and Dragonfly. However, I'm not all that trusting of using an OS from the 70's (Which became..."outdated" 20 years later) due to how needlessly complicated it's infamously become, going by what I've heard.

Overall, guess it would be a good idea to pick up programming in the near future.