Perl v5.10.0 crashes AROS while trying to build

serk118uk · 597

serk118uk

on: September 17, 2021, 03:20:42 PM
Hi ppl,

I am trying to build Amissl.library and i need Perl v5.10.0 or above but we have Perl v5.7.2,

I downloaded Perl v5.10.0 and sh configure.gnu crashes (reboots) my aros while trying to build on my native icaros system.

I already made AROS changes and compiled libcmt/ and i need to compile openssl/ and i need Perl to progres next stage.

Please someone try cross compiling or help me with the configure file so i can continue compiling Amissl.library (i am not so great with configure files)..

Code: [Select]
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
        LC_ALL = (unset),
        (possibly more locale environment variables)
        LANG = (unset)
    are supported and installed on your system.
perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").
Perl v5.10.0 required--this is only v5.7.2, stopped at ../../openssl/Configure line 12.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ../../openssl/Configure line 12.
make[1]: Entering directory `/Work/OPEN-WORKS/Open_TCP/amissl-master/build_aros-i386/openssl'
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `include/openssl/opensslconf.h'.  Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/Work/OPEN-WORKS/Open_TCP/amissl-master/build_aros-i386/openssl'

Lets Build Not Destroy...

deadwood

• AROS Developer
Reply #1 on: September 17, 2021, 04:46:07 PM
Maybe as a workaround for now you could try an older version of Amissl that is ok with 5.7 perl?

serk118uk

Reply #2 on: September 19, 2021, 02:57:12 PM
Maybe as a workaround for now you could try an older version of Amissl that is ok with 5.7 perl?

I have downloaded alder version of amissl and new version of perl.
I will try to workaround somehow..

serk118uk

Reply #3 on: October 03, 2021, 12:38:22 PM
Older version of AmiSSL is not worth porting..

Perl v5.10.0 (or greater) required to build new openssl adn AmiSSL and i tried to compile perl on my native aros and crashes during sh ./confugure and thats natively..looks like AmiSSL has config for cross compile..

sorry ppl i tried , i done the aros conversions in most areas but i am just not great with confgire file and i am native user.

amigamia

• AROS World
Reply #4 on: October 03, 2021, 02:46:11 PM
Hi Serk,

What's the crash error if there is any? I remember having the same issue when trying to run configure on AROS natively and managed to work around it by increasing the stack size. Never mind that I had other errors after that but at least it did not crash.

serk118uk

Reply #5 on: October 04, 2021, 02:02:49 PM
Hi Serk,

What's the crash error if there is any? I remember having the same issue when trying to run configure on AROS natively and managed to work around it by increasing the stack size. Never mind that I had other errors after that but at least it did not crash.

Hi amigamia,

I can not remmember exacttly but somewhere arround the line "freeing memmory outside of block currupted" than my icaros reboots

amigamia

• AROS World
Reply #6 on: October 05, 2021, 12:33:23 PM
Have you tried to set the stack size to 10000? Open the shell and execute: Stack 10000

Then try the compilation again?

AMIGASYSTEM

• Legendary Member
  • AROS One
    • AROS One
Reply #7 on: October 05, 2021, 03:51:09 PM
Yes many AROS Applications require a very high Stack, an old programmer used to say that when an application requires a lot of Stack it's because it was programmed wrong.

@serk
Where can I download Perl v5.10.0? I would like to put it into AROS One thanks.

serk118uk

Reply #8 on: October 09, 2021, 04:12:02 PM
Yes many AROS Applications require a very high Stack, an old programmer used to say that when an application requires a lot of Stack it's because it was programmed wrong.

@serk
Where can I download Perl v5.10.0? I would like to put it into AROS One thanks.

@AMIGASYSTEM
I tried to port  but I am not by passing sh configure with my native aros attempts, 

Maybe someone who uses better tools should try by crosscompiling..

@amigamia
I tried with stack and yes no crash but this time it slows my aros right down , I think it gets stuck in some sort of dead loop ,

amigamia

• AROS World
Reply #9 on: October 10, 2021, 05:03:20 PM
That's possible but keep in mind that you are trying to compile a software that takes in consideration modern hardware with lots of hardware resources. You may not have the necessary resources for the compilation to complete. What are the specs of the AROS machine you are trying this? If it's a VM, adding a second core won't help since AROS can't see more than one. Memory wise, perhaps 2GB should help but if I remember correctly 1GB was a limit? I think the best bet is to cross-compile from a linux environment. If you search in this forum, there should be a few threads on steps to set the cross-compilation by Deadwood.

AMIGASYSTEM

• Legendary Member
  • AROS One
    • AROS One
Reply #10 on: October 10, 2021, 06:22:42 PM
Memory wise, perhaps 2GB should help but if I remember correctly 1GB was a limit?

I use 2GB of RAM on an old VMware v6.0.7, the latest version compatible with 32Bit Windows systems.
Once I had an application crash and I solved it using 2GB of RAM, my VMware v6.0.7 supports up to 3GB of RAM or so, see screenshot.

salvo

• Legendary Member
  • TinyAros
    • TinyAros
Reply #11 on: October 10, 2021, 06:43:39 PM
I don't think Serk is using a VM :)

TinyAros Manteiner http://tinyaros.flazio.com

amigamia

• AROS World
Reply #12 on: October 11, 2021, 12:32:51 PM
Memory wise, perhaps 2GB should help but if I remember correctly 1GB was a limit?

I use 2GB of RAM on an old VMware v6.0.7, the latest version compatible with 32Bit Windows systems.
Once I had an application crash and I solved it using 2GB of RAM, my VMware v6.0.7 supports up to 3GB of RAM or so, see screenshot.

Good to know! Thanks for verifying that. I was still under the impression that AROS was only capable of truly using only 1GB. I must have confused that requirement with Amithlon requirements  :)