OlafS3

on: December 31, 2021, 05:47:48 PM
I wish everybody a good and successful new year 2022 and to stay healthy

here it is 5:47 pm, 6 hours to go

salvo

• Legendary Member
  • Peace an Love
Reply #1 on: December 31, 2021, 05:58:01 PM
Happy New Year to you and your families and for good and bad we always smile :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 06:05:30 PM by salvo »

IcarosDesktop on HP Z400 Workstation

miker1264

• Legendary Member
Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021, 06:23:08 PM
May everyone have a Happy & Prosperous New Year!

Where I am it's 9:20am so 14 hours and 40min to go!

AMIGASYSTEM

• Legendary Member
  • AROS One
    • AROS One
Reply #3 on: December 31, 2021, 09:31:19 PM
Happy New Year wishes to all hoping that it will be better than the last two passed!
Here in Italy there are few hours left in this moment it's 21:22

braincure

Reply #4 on: January 01, 2022, 09:37:00 AM
I wish all Amiga friends a happy new year.
There has been some talk about the Amigaos licensing problems being over. is this true?
I feel there is some setback in the Aros project. why is this happening?
What exactly is the reason for such great interest in the Amiga vampire card? because that's what I don't understand, No matter how much you improve the existing original amiga hardware, it is still insufficient. Why is aros wanted to be abandoned instead?
I don't like long posts, but I have to write them. Thank you in advance for your interest and answers.

AMIGASYSTEM

• Legendary Member
  • AROS One
    • AROS One
Reply #5 on: January 01, 2022, 10:32:26 AM
I agree with you, expansions like Vampire in my opinion doesn't make sense in 2022. Amiga in the past was an evolved Computer and was ahead of all, now these cards improve the power of an old Amiga but it's a derisory power compared to what other platforms offer.

In my opinion AROS makes the difference that it can exploit new hardware, even if at the moment there are not enough Drivers to support these new hardware.

AROS has slowed down the development but lately some developer is back and other new ones are approaching, AROS unlike Amiga will never die because it doesn't have copyright problems as instead happens for years on Amiga.

OlafS3

Reply #6 on: January 01, 2022, 11:27:52 AM
I wish all Amiga friends a happy new year.
There has been some talk about the Amigaos licensing problems being over. is this true?
I feel there is some setback in the Aros project. why is this happening?
What exactly is the reason for such great interest in the Amiga vampire card? because that's what I don't understand, No matter how much you improve the existing original amiga hardware, it is still insufficient. Why is aros wanted to be abandoned instead?
I don't like long posts, but I have to write them. Thank you in advance for your interest and answers.

There is no "setback" on AROS (the opposite). There is noone asking AROS to be abandoned eiter... again the opposite. I would even say AROS is today more popular in the amiga community than ever before. Only if you reduce AROS to X86. On 68k it is heavily used today. And there is lots of development there, even developers be interested to start with AROS (one recently asked me about how to develop for it and to do OS development). And Vampire (or PiStorm) are interesting for people because it is a pure hobby and fun platform for them and expecially a retro platform. That is true for most people in the community. Even most of the current active developers love the 68k platform and chipset.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 11:32:54 AM by OlafS3 »

OlafS3

Reply #7 on: January 01, 2022, 11:31:18 AM
I agree with you, expansions like Vampire in my opinion doesn't make sense in 2022. Amiga in the past was an evolved Computer and was ahead of all, now these cards improve the power of an old Amiga but it's a derisory power compared to what other platforms offer.

In my opinion AROS makes the difference that it can exploit new hardware, even if at the moment there are not enough Drivers to support these new hardware.

AROS has slowed down the development but lately some developer is back and other new ones are approaching, AROS unlike Amiga will never die because it doesn't have copyright problems as instead happens for years on Amiga.

If you look from that point of view AROS makes no sense either. Only mainstream platforms like Windows or Mac "do make sense". It is hobby, fun and for most people "retro". They want to run the old software (demos, games and so on) and have the retro feeling with the memories. It does not make sense. The 68k branch makes most sense in this context in my view because you can test Aros against a existing big software base (unlike on X86 with the more limited software base) and extend functionality because you can use both aros and amiga 68k software in it.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 11:52:23 AM by OlafS3 »

AMIGASYSTEM

• Legendary Member
  • AROS One
    • AROS One
Reply #8 on: January 01, 2022, 12:10:58 PM
Yes, but AROS x86 could have prospects, it has all the credentials to become competitive with modern hardware. Spending a lot of money to get a less powerful and less compatible Amiga than an emulated Amiga doesn't make any sense.

I could understand the Hobby if there were no alternatives, I have many Amiga at home that I don't use since 30 years, I have an A4000/060, two A1200/030, two CD32 one with SX32, two A600 with double Kickstart, one A500Plus with double kickstart and a standard A500.

If for hobby I had to use all my Amiga it would be necessary to have in house a big room and a lot of scattered cables.

Having said that with only one PC and WinUAE, with one click I have all the configured Amiga models and almost all the hardware made for Amiga available, moreover with cards like the Vampire I could never run properly and fast systems like my AfA One, the system I dreamed of 30 years ago, i add that not even AROS 68k "full Skin and Zune configuration" can work fast on these cards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXyV1PvkNvo
« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 12:16:12 PM by AMIGASYSTEM »

OlafS3

Reply #9 on: January 01, 2022, 12:24:43 PM
some people invest lots of money in oldtimers. If you add the invested time the oldtimer propably is more expensive than a new car and you only get a fraction of the technology. Those people enjoy the old feeling. Vampire (and to a degree PiStorm) are "what amiga would have been if commodore would have survived" and in case of vampire additionally "and Motorola would not have dropped 68k in favor of PPC". It is not a logical decision but a emotional. Because of that AROS (or MorphOS) do not offer the same feeling as 3.X. But Aros running native on 68k hardware at least is near to that.

deadwood

• AROS Developer
  • Legendary Member
Reply #10 on: January 01, 2022, 12:49:51 PM
Happy New Year Everyone!

I wish each of us to have fun and success realizing our AROS goals in 2022, be them small or big :)

OlafS3

Reply #11 on: January 01, 2022, 12:51:48 PM
Happy New Year Everyone!

I wish each of us to have fun and success realizing our AROS goals in 2022, be them small or big :)

thank you very much for your work in 2021

the same wish to you  :)

AMIGASYSTEM

• Legendary Member
  • AROS One
    • AROS One
Reply #12 on: January 01, 2022, 12:53:17 PM
some people invest lots of money in oldtimers. If you add the invested time the oldtimer propably is more expensive than a new car and you only get a fraction of the technology. Those people enjoy the old feeling. Vampire (and to a degree PiStorm) are "what amiga would have been if commodore would have survived" and in case of vampire additionally "and Motorola would not have dropped 68k in favor of PPC". It is not a logical decision but a emotional. Because of that AROS (or MorphOS) do not offer the same feeling as 3.X. But Aros running native on 68k hardware at least is near to that.

If we talk about collecting I can understand it, I collect many things, but if I have to use an Operating System what does it change if this is in an old Amiga case or in an Emulator.

This mania of wanting to use an old keyboard or see the yellow of a case has nothing to do with passion, it's just fetishism.

OlafS3

Reply #13 on: January 01, 2022, 12:55:18 PM
@Amigasystem

It is not important if you understand it or share it. Many people think that way. One game developer even was attacked personal by collectors of boxed games because he offered a update with new levels after sending the boxes so the discs in it were no longer uptodate

AMIGASYSTEM

• Legendary Member
  • AROS One
    • AROS One
Reply #14 on: January 01, 2022, 01:17:30 PM
Yes, everyone is free to do what he/she thinks best, I only wrote my thoughts, right or wrong, maybe my 68 years of age lead me to think this way, maybe when they reach 70 they will think like me.