sharing folders on vmware 15 on a windows 10 machine and AROS 2.3

danilos · 502

aGGreSSor

• russian transit
aGGreSSor thanks for the information ! in Network Preferences which Device should be used?
This is actually rare. I'm constantly changing the boot iso)
If I remember correctly SMB0 by default and SMB0 had to be created in DEVS:DOSDrivers manually
Not at hand, I will check in the evening.

AMIGASYSTEM

You reminded me that I had already done this 10 years ago, i had used this

EHandler = smb.handler
Activate = 1
Control = "USER=username WORKGROUP=workgroup PASSWORD=**** SERVICE=//Host Name/service
(created by Network Prefs)

At SYS:System/Network/AROSTCP/db, i would add a string like: 192.168.x.x nomehost.arosnet nomehost

On WMWare it seems not to work could it be a protection of Win7?

magorium

• Convicted non contributor
I'm surprised here. IMHO, MarranoFTP has not worked (broken) for a long time.  I'm using curl as a ftp-client from the AROS side.
As an alternative, perhaps ftpmount works for aros (i seem to remember it did once, but might be wrong there). https://github.com/midwan/FTPMount

I don't see how FTP and SMB relate. SMB either works for me or not "out of the box" through the Network prefs.
That is correct aGGreSSor. You configure the netwerkshare with network preferences, and it either works ... or not.

As i wrote before, it depends on which version of SaMBa the host is using. The old forums had a discussion about that and we were able to figure out which exact version would still be compatible with AROS which, if i recall correctly, was windows XP (if not mistaken that broke with the latest service and/or latest security pack back then)

Usually I can connect to my Synology DS216j via SMB. Just on this storage I have both the Samba service and the FTP-server running
As long as the smb used is still compatible it will work with AROS. Linux offers better control of the samba settings/compatibility anyhows.

magorium

On WMWare it seems not to work could it be a protection of Win7?
The issue is that windows 7 is using a version of SMB which makes it incompatible to work with AROS. I have tried to tweak things with regards to windows seven but never managed to get it to work properly with AROS.

That is why i suggested to run a secondary VM with a linux server, so that you can tweak it to use an older version of the samba protocol or in case you have the skills to configure samba in such a way that it renders it compatible to work with AROS. Having said that, it has been ages ago since i last did that so the details on how to tweak that exactly are escaping me  :-[

AMIGASYSTEM

I don't use Linux and I've never fallen in love with it :)

magorium

I don't use Linux and I've never fallen in love with it :)
I believe you are missing the point there  ;D

You do not have to like Linux and you certainly do not have to (visually) use it.

You only need to install and configure it (once if you do it right the first time around).

Which means is, that you can use a tiny (about 100 mb in size when installed) Linux server distribution inside a VM, install the vmware/virtual box extensions in that VM in order to access the Drives/network/whatever else from the host and make it accessible within the virtualisation environment (internal secure VM network). If you like to tweak, then you can certainly get those numbers down even further by compiling your own Linux kernel.

Such solution allows you to setup or customise things at the Linux VM server side so that AROS is able to work with it. For me that meant it runs there quietly taking away at most 10-20% of processor power and about 64 mb of memory and i never needed to 'work' in that Linux virtual machine,

All that is left to do then is to run your AROS VM, and enjoy the workaround(s) (e.g. AROS shortcomings)

But, actually this is a complete non-discussion because the only people who benefit from such things are the persons that are seriously in need of accessing the network and/or swap files around when running AROS inside a VM, thus usually a developer....

.. and for developing it is better to use hosted, which is able to provide you with both of these features out of the box.

If you need these kind of things while running AROS native and you need to workaround these issues then you can (also) setup a small device such as a NAS or a small Linux server that is able to provide the same things for you. A small single board computer like a raspberry pi is a perfect candidate for such things.

And to top that off, AROS is perfectly capable of running hosted on such a single board computer, and perhaps we are able to run AROS native on such a board in the future (Work in Progress).

It is already possible to start AROS automatically on a hosted machine so that you do not ever need to use or see the host side of things, that is if you don't want to (again this goes against the philosophy of running AROS hosted).

fwiw: these kind of things have been discussed over and over on the old forums (for decades) and workarounds (such as i wrote here) were presented, whenever it was possible to create such a workaround and, i fail to see why we should re-invent the discussion(s) as it is just a waste of time. IMHO of course  :)

AMIGASYSTEM

magorium thanks, mine was just a whim, with VMWare I'm fine with Pendrive or External HD, just deactivate the pendrive or HD from VMWare to have it available immediately on Windows, then when you need it reactivate it on AROS fast and unlimited method.

--- Italiano ---

magorium grazie, il mio era solo un capriccio, con VMWare mi trovo bene con le Pendrive o HD Esterno, basta disattivare la pendrive o l'HD da VMWare per averlo disponibile immediatamente su Windows, poi quando serve la riattivi su AROS metodo veloce e senza limiti.

aGGreSSor

• russian transit
If you need these kind of things while running AROS native and you need to workaround these issues then you can (also) setup a small device such as a NAS or a small Linux server that is able to provide the same things for you. A small single board computer like a raspberry pi is a perfect candidate for such things.
It's best to use NAS (like my Synology). Raspberry dies very quickly.
No retailer infrastructure on Raspberry has existed for more than six months.
IT executives who decided that Raspberry is such a personal computer, only a small one were fired.
My own Raspberry Pi 3 is lying on the closet because his sd-card (very good and expensive) has degraded.
If you still dare, be sure to read this.

paolone

Hi Paolone, I thought the sharing folders in vmware related to the vmware share folder functionality, it's a feature you can switch on if desired in vmware and I thought they were discussing that functionality. In fact, I managed to exchange files using ftp, I did not realize AROS had a small ftp client in the distribution. It's not the best mechanism but it works. thanks for the help.

Sorry. I thought you were talking about Icaros' FTP-based sharing folder option. I don't klnow if you have considered it yet, however it can easily help you shating your MyWorkspace directory between AROS and any other computer on the same network (being it another physical computer or the host for your vmware/vbox/qemu virtual machine).

VMware's shared folder option needs a port of vmware tools to work, and there aren't plans for this to happen.