sharing folders on vmware 15 on a windows 10 machine and AROS 2.3

danilos · 503

danilos

hi,
I have been trying to share files between my AROS 2.3 machine, running on as a VM using VMWare Workstation 15 on a Windows 10 host and even though I have enabled the shared folders on the VM configuration I cannot see any folders in AROS.  I understand that this feature should work, does anybody know how it needs to be configured on the AROS side? VMWare tools cannot be used in AROS so I find it particularly difficult to exchange files between the AROS and the rest of my environment (for some reason networking is also not working).
Thanks indeed for any help.

AMIGASYSTEM

I don't think it works sharing, you can use Pendrive, MemoryCard, CD/ISO, Floppy/Image Floppy in FAT

magorium

• Convicted non contributor
@danilos:
That is why i usually develop using AROS hosted. That way i can use my favourite source-code-editor on the host, cross-compile to AROS and test it on AROS hosted.

Having said that, you should be able to get networking going in combination with vmware. Have you followed the Icaros Desktop Manual instructions on how to setup vmware with AROS ? (i do not have hands on experience with vmware, as i use virtualbox myself).

Another (not so great solution imho) is to share a raw device in the VM (i usually use a sd-card for that) thqat can be accessed from both the VM and the host. But you should be able to do that with a virtual device nowadays as well. So you could create a small secondary HD that is fat formatted and mount that in your AROS VM and host OS.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 04:09:35 PM by magorium »

paolone

hi,
I have been trying to share files between my AROS 2.3 machine, running on as a VM using VMWare Workstation 15 on a Windows 10 host and even though I have enabled the shared folders on the VM configuration I cannot see any folders in AROS.  I understand that this feature should work, does anybody know how it needs to be configured on the AROS side? VMWare tools cannot be used in AROS so I find it particularly difficult to exchange files between the AROS and the rest of my environment (for some reason networking is also not working).
Thanks indeed for any help.

Either your Windows 10 host is "protecting you" by blocking communications between host and guest through Windows firewall, OR you simply haven't poperly configured your FTP client on the Windows side. Please read Icaros manual for further information.

danilos

Hi Paolone, I thought the sharing folders in vmware related to the vmware share folder functionality, it's a feature you can switch on if desired in vmware and I thought they were discussing that functionality. In fact, I managed to exchange files using ftp, I did not realize AROS had a small ftp client in the distribution. It's not the best mechanism but it works. thanks for the help.

aGGreSSor

• russian transit
I'm use InfraRecorder. It's freeware and portable app for Win.  In VBox and VMware I have added Untitled.iso
I drop files to InfraRecorder window and re-burn Untitled.iso, then re-start VBox/VMware and I see what's on it.
This allows you to change the boot iso and test apps from Untitled.iso without network setup every time.

AMIGASYSTEM

Can InfraRecorder create a bootable AROS ISO? From the software I tested, the only software that allowed me to create a bootable CD was UltraISO.

magorium

@amigasystem:
I do believe you misinterpreted what user AGGreSSor wrote.

He does not use untitled.iso to boot from, rather this iso contains files he want to access from within the AROS Virtual Machine.

That way, he is able to easily _change_ (read: upgrade) the original AROS boot iso to another version and use the files that are present on the secondary untitled.iso CD-Rom.

AMIGASYSTEM

No I got it right (usual translation problem), I use that technique too, I just wanted to know if InfraRecorder can "also" be used to create a bootable ISO.

Sorry magorium a question, do you know how to connect a Windows network drive with MarranoFTP? On Windows I just type \\shared on the bar of a window, on MarranoFTP I can not understand what and where to type?

---- Italiano ----

No ho capito bene (solito problema traduzione), uso anche io quella tecnica,  io volevo solo sapere se InfraRecorder può "anche" essere utilizzato per creare una ISO bootable.

Scusa magorium una domanda, sai come connettere una Unità di rete Windows con MarranoFTP? su Windows mi basta digitare \\condivisa sullla barra di una finestra, su MarranoFTP non riesco a capire cosa e dove digitare?

magorium

No I got it right (usual translation problem), I use that technique too, I just wanted to know if InfraRecorder can "also" be used to create a bootable ISO.
Ah ok, i understand you now: you asked a general question about infrarecorder and if is capable of creating bootable ISO's.

if i remember correctly then infrarecorder does not create iso files. Instead it is able to read a bootable CD-Rom or DVD-rom and you can burn that to an Empty CD/DVD and it will boot.

However (again as far as i remember correctly) , creating a bootable ISO from scratch is not possible to do with infrarecorder. You can use any ISO make utility for that, and infrarecorder will be able to burn that ISO for you. For example WinISO or mkisofs is able to create a bootable iso file for you, which you can then burn to a physical disk with infrarecorder.

However, in this context of virtual machines, it is rather silly to use infrarecorder in that case because you "mount" the .iso file inside the virtual machine so there is no need to 'burn' the iso to a physical CD/DVD

Perhaps you are looking for a all-in-one tool for Windows like imgburn ?

Sorry magorium a question, do you know how to connect a Windows network drive with MarranoFTP? On Windows I just type \\shared on the bar of a window, on MarranoFTP I can not understand what and where to type?
marranoFTP is a FTP client, while sharing a network drive with Windows is uses a complete other protocol. However, you can use a (small) FTP server and access such a shared networkdrive by telling the ftp server that the files are located on that specific shared drive.

In case you wish to access a shared network drive directly from within AROS then this is possible to do with using SMB (samba). Having said that (and if i recall  correctly) AROS supports only the older SMB protocol which is last supported with windows XP. Any newer/later version of Windows uses a newer version of SMB that is incompatible with AROS.

regards,
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 06:35:52 PM by magorium »

AMIGASYSTEM

Regarding the programs on Windows that create ISOs, I've tried many like PowerISO, MagicISO, WinISO and many others and no one can create an ISO Bootable AROS, many do not recognize the "bootloader file", others misinterpret it, as said the only one that to do so is UltraISO that a specific item in the menu.

On Windows I am familiar with Networks, I managed hundreds of PCs in my Company Network before I retired, on Amiga I never did, with my A4000 and my A1200 I used PARNET and RDesktop to connect Amiga with PC, but I never used FTP programs.

--- Italiano ---

Riguardo i programmi che su Windows che creano le ISO, ne ho provati tanti come PowerISO, MagicISO, WinISO e tanti altri è nessuno riesce a creare un ISO Bootable AROS, molti non riconoscono il "file bootloader", altri lo interpretano male, come detto l'unico che riesce a farlo è UltraISO che una specifica voce nel menu.

Su Windows sono pratico di Reti ho gestito centinaia di PC nella mia Rete Aziendale prima di andare in pensione, su Amiga non lo avevo mai fatto, con il mio A4000 e il mio A1200 usavo PARNET e RDesktop per connettere Amiga con PC, ma non ho mai utilizzato programmi FTP.

magorium

Regarding the programs on Windows that create ISOs, I've tried many like PowerISO, MagicISO, WinISO and many others and no one can create an ISO Bootable AROS, many do not recognize the "bootloader file", others misinterpret it, as said the only one that to do so is UltraISO that a specific item in the menu.
That is odd, as i did not experience any such issue when i created my own AROS iso's. Any ISO creator program that uses mkisofs as backend should work simply because AROS uses this (command-line-) tool itself to create the iso files.

On Windows I am familiar with Networks, I managed hundreds of PCs in my Company Network before I retired, on Amiga I never did, with my A4000 and my A1200 I used PARNET and RDesktop to connect Amiga with PC, but I never used FTP programs.
A lot has changed at Windows so i do not know if the following suggestion still works (it should with a bit of firewall configuring) but you do not have to install a full-fledged fileserver. Running a simple ftp daemon should do the trick for Windows. Try to search with google for "tiny ftp" or "tiny ftpd". Here is such an example: http://smallftpd.sourceforge.net/

You run that on your Windows machine that is connected to the network that your AROS machine is a part of as well and then you can start marrano, whcih requires you to provide the IP address of your windows ftp server as well as the port that your ftp server is running on. Marrano should then be able to connect to your Windows ftp server application.

edit:
One of the solutions that i used when using Windows and Virtualbox is to have one virtual machine for AROS and one virtual machine that has a tiny linux server distribution. The linux server allows you to install the virtualbox extentions and thus is able to access/share windows drives. I made those drives available on the server side of linux in such a way that AROS was able to access them over the (internal virtualbox) network. It is a perfect solution in case you have some SMP machine to spare as you then run both VM's at the same time (both VM's running on a single processor(thread) ).

However, for developing software it is tedious to work with and i prefer to use and run AROS hosted in that case.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 07:39:16 PM by magorium »

AMIGASYSTEM

That is odd, as i did not experience any such issue when i created my own AROS iso's. Any ISO creator program that uses mkisofs as backend should work simply because AROS uses this (command-line-) tool itself to create the iso files.
I don't know maybe because I was using the bootloader exported from the Nightly Build, I don't know what is the "backend" :)

One of the solutions that i used when using Windows and Virtualbox is to have one virtual machine for AROS and one virtual machine that has a tiny linux server distribution. The linux server allows you to install the virtualbox extentions and thus is able to access/share windows drives. I made those drives available on the server side of linux in such a way that AROS was able to access them over the (internal virtualbox) network. It is a perfect solution in case you have some SMP machine to spare as you then run both VM's at the same time (both VM's running on a single processor(thread) ).
On VMWare it doesn't seem to work, maybe I'm doing something wrong! It would take something like SMBMounter that on OS3 seems to work well.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 11:40:45 PM by AMIGASYSTEM »

aGGreSSor

• russian transit
@amigasystem:
I do believe you misinterpreted what user AGGreSSor wrote.

He does not use untitled.iso to boot from, rather this iso contains files he want to access from within the AROS Virtual Machine.

That way, he is able to easily _change_ (read: upgrade) the original AROS boot iso to another version and use the files that are present on the secondary untitled.iso CD-Rom.
You're absolutely right)

Sorry magorium a question, do you know how to connect a Windows network drive with MarranoFTP?
I'm surprised here. IMHO, MarranoFTP has not worked (broken) for a long time.  I'm using curl as a ftp-client from the AROS side.

Upload:
Code: [Select]
1.AROS> curl -T myfile.ext ftp://<My FTP IP>/private/ --user username:password

and download:
Code: [Select]
1.AROS> curl ftp://<My FTP IP>/private/myfile.ext --user username:password -o myfile.ext

I use Synology DS216j as a ftp-server.

It would take something like SMBMounter that on OS3 seems to work well.
I don't see how FTP and SMB relate. SMB either works for me or not "out of the box" through the Network prefs.
Usually I can connect to my Synology DS216j via SMB. Just on this storage I have both the Samba service and the FTP-server running
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 07:21:14 AM by aGGreSSor »

AMIGASYSTEM

aGGreSSor thanks for the information ! in Network Preferences which Device should be used?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 07:33:47 AM by AMIGASYSTEM »