Icaros Desktop 2.3

paolone · 1213

paolone

on: December 17, 2020, 10:35:10 AM
Hi. This quick message only to inform I have released Icaros Desktop 2.3 to beta testers and patrons.

Around Christmas, it will be available to everyone.

I wish to thank everyone who contributed with beta testing, new applications, hints and suggestions. Icaros Desktop 2.3 is a 'dot release' which needs to be installed from scratch, although being still based on the 2.2 codebase. Manual updating is not supported nor suggested. Icaros Desktop 2.3 introduces new programs, new features and a heavily improved hosted mode, which is now able to take full advantage of host applications. All informations about Icaros Desktop 2.3 are available here.

http://www.icarosdesktop.org

deadwood

• AROS Developer
Reply #1 on: December 17, 2020, 12:05:12 PM
Congrats Paolo, great list of features :)

salvo

• Legendary Member
  • Invalid Civil
Reply #2 on: December 17, 2020, 12:46:16 PM
Compliment Paolone ;)

TinyAros Laptop MSI EX-600 Intel Core Duo 1.8 Ghz, 4 Gb Ram, SSD Samsung 860 EVO 250 Gb, Geforce 8400m "Vesa 15"

http://tinyaros.flazio.com/home

aGGreSSor

• russian transit
Reply #3 on: December 17, 2020, 12:49:21 PM
Please take the latest catalogs from AROS Translation Team repo for final version.

paolone

Reply #4 on: December 17, 2020, 02:31:11 PM
Please take the latest catalogs from AROS Translation Team repo for final version.

Hi, if they are in sync with AROS ABIv1 development, I am afraid they might not work with ABIv0 software included with Icaros. But I will happily test them for the future, when working on Icaros 2.4 with Deadwood's backport.

salvo

• Legendary Member
  • Invalid Civil
Reply #5 on: December 17, 2020, 02:46:10 PM
a note since you have mentioned many people, rnopublisher without my support could not exist :)

TinyAros Laptop MSI EX-600 Intel Core Duo 1.8 Ghz, 4 Gb Ram, SSD Samsung 860 EVO 250 Gb, Geforce 8400m "Vesa 15"

nikos

• aspireos
Reply #6 on: December 17, 2020, 03:31:53 PM
Very nice Paolo :) Great with updates, fixes to the Operative System.

aGGreSSor

• russian transit
Reply #7 on: December 17, 2020, 10:46:50 PM
Hi, if they are in sync with AROS ABIv1 development, I am afraid they might not work with ABIv0 software included with Icaros. But I will happily test them for the future, when working on Icaros 2.4 with Deadwood's backport.
Most of the catalogs source I have met have not been updated for a very long time, many have not been updated since 2008-12 (only converted). ABIv1 is progressing, but localization is not affected. Building for many catalogs is disabled in file mmakefile.src because their version is lower than those applications that are in ABIv0. Building for some languages was disabled because translators forgot to add their language to mmakefile.src. Fortunately, my pull requests are quickly accepted (my deepest gratitude to Matthias "Mazze" Rustler) and I fix it where I can understand and leave it where I can't. Of course, I am primarily interested in the support of the Russian language. Most of the catalogs for russian are either out of date or have been translated but not included. There are also incorrectly specified codeset values. I check each catalogs for flexcat buildability and add screenshots to my commits (like this). Therefore you cannot harm the applications you have (I am not aware of examples at the moment).
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 11:00:07 PM by aGGreSSor »

ilBarbax

Reply #8 on: December 18, 2020, 09:26:08 AM
Unfortunately not having yet Deedwood upgrade, there is no chances for me to successfully upgrade my system being stuck at a 3 years ago version. On all subsequent version my system was not able to even boot.

deadwood

• AROS Developer
Reply #9 on: December 18, 2020, 10:51:44 AM
Unfortunately not having yet Deedwood upgrade, there is no chances for me to successfully upgrade my system being stuck at a 3 years ago version. On all subsequent version my system was not able to even boot.

Have you tested the development build (https://ae.amigalife.org/index.php?topic=632.0) on your hardware? Does it work for you? If not, what problems do you have?

paolone

Reply #10 on: December 18, 2020, 02:04:45 PM
Most of the catalogs source I have met have not been updated for a very long time, many have not been updated since 2008-12 (only converted). ABIv1 is progressing, but localization is not affected. Building for many catalogs is disabled in file mmakefile.src because their version is lower than those applications that are in ABIv0. Building for some languages was disabled because translators forgot to add their language to mmakefile.src. Fortunately, my pull requests are quickly accepted (my deepest gratitude to Matthias "Mazze" Rustler) and I fix it where I can understand and leave it where I can't. Of course, I am primarily interested in the support of the Russian language. Most of the catalogs for russian are either out of date or have been translated but not included. There are also incorrectly specified codeset values. I check each catalogs for flexcat buildability and add screenshots to my commits (like this). Therefore you cannot harm the applications you have (I am not aware of examples at the moment).

Ok. Would you please provide to me already-built locales I can put in the right directories? I will happily add them to the distribution.

paolone

Reply #11 on: December 18, 2020, 02:09:23 PM
a note since you have mentioned many people, rnopublisher without my support could not exist :)

fixed

salvo

• Legendary Member
  • Invalid Civil
Reply #12 on: December 18, 2020, 03:50:49 PM
thank you very much :D

aGGreSSor

• russian transit
Reply #13 on: December 18, 2020, 09:14:27 PM
Ok. Would you please provide to me already-built locales I can put in the right directories? I will happily add them to the distribution.
I thought and decided that the wisest thing would be to upload them to the github  ;)
Thus, this base will gradually and publicly grow.

paolone

Reply #14 on: December 20, 2020, 12:14:19 PM
I thought and decided that the wisest thing would be to upload them to the github  ;)
Thus, this base will gradually and publicly grow.

Thank you so much.