First time install

libz · 372

libz

on: July 08, 2021, 04:27:44 PM
Hi all!

I never had a Commodore, just a ZX Spectrum, so this is my first time with Amiga, besides some old afternoon's at a friend's house that had an Amiga.

In an old mini-itx 1C/2T atom, with a 160GB hard drive, I'm installing some non-mainstream  operating systems.
The disk was formatted with four partitions for:
- FreeDOS (installed)
- Haiku (installed)
- Icaros (not yet installed)
- another one not chosen yet

The current bootloader is the Haiku's one.

I mimic the partition schema on a virtual disk to be able to try the installation, so the labels below are from it.
At the desktop, right click, Icons, Format Disk, there's some labels:  CD0, ICD0, ICD1, IDF0, IDF1.
Well, CD0,  I guess it's a cd-rom drive.  What about the other?
Nothing suggests an obvious third partition of the disk MBR where I'd like to install Icaros to.

Is it possible to install Icaros to just one partition?
Can I use the Haiku bootloader, or do I need to install GRUB?
What label can I expect for the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th MBR partitions of a disk?

Thanks.

AMIGASYSTEM

• Legendary Member
  • AROS One
    • AROS One
Reply #1 on: July 08, 2021, 07:29:48 PM
Hi all!

I mimic the partition schema on a virtual disk to be able to try the installation, so the labels below are from it.
At the desktop, right click, Icons, Format Disk, there's some labels:  CD0, ICD0, ICD1, IDF0, IDF1.
Well, CD0,  I guess it's a cd-rom drive.  What about the other?

Normally CD0, CD1 ect.. are DosDrivers for mounting CD/DVD drives Unit 1, 2 etc.., while DF0, DF1 etc.. are DosDrivers for mounting Floppies.

On the Amiga, unlike PCs, there are many devices for mounting CDs, DVDs, Floppies and other devices, and in many cases "ICD0, ICD1" etc... may contain different devices.

To know what they are used for just analyze the DOSDrivers internally and look at the content of the script which is a text file format.

Where did you find the DOSDrivers CD0, ICD0, ICD1, IDF0, IDF1

Is it possible to install Icaros to just one partition?
Yes
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 09:44:32 PM by AMIGASYSTEM »